The Bathwater Conspiracy by Janet Kellough

The Bathwater Conspiracy (edition 2018)

by Janet Kellough (Author)

Member:Antares1
Title:The Bathwater Conspiracy
Authors:Janet Kellough (Author)
Info:EDGE-Lite (2018), 248 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Bathwater Conspiracy by Janet Kellough

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a placeholder review for THE BATHWATER CONSPIRACY, by Janet Kellough. Please do not consider it a completed review until I assign a star rating.
  Wordwizardw | Sep 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought I would get a lot of enjoyment from the book, unfortunately I read the entire thing just to say I read it. The Bathwater Conspiracy, by Janet Kellough, was about a time when women dominated civilization. I was confused at first trying to figure how this came to be and the story about the mysterious lab and people in the woods. There felt as though there were different stories against each other, which tried to tie together in the end a weird kind of way and not relevant in my opinion. I think the story spent too much time on the “side shows” then it did on the actual story itself. I am sorry I couldn’t give a better review, but it felt like the actual story was only a random outline of ideas. ( )
  llovell | Aug 10, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enjoyable read for both mystery and SF&F afficionados. A plausible post-apocalyptic world, dynamic characters, satiric subtext, story moved right along. Took a while to establish the worldview, but none the worse for that. Dropped one star for telegraphed ending, but it was still a satisfying outcome. ( )
  ajs4books | Aug 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Bathwater Conspiracy, Janet Kellough's police procedural/government conspiracy novel set in a future where all men have died from a virus got wild, starts out with a reasonably interesting premise that turns into an average sort of plot and set of characters. That's ok if all you're looking for is brain candy - this will certainly fill that bill, even though the solution to the mystery is telegraphed pretty early on.

Unfortunately, it also jumps pretty quickly into a polemic about how evil men are and how better off the world is without them, a theme that surfaced throughout the book. If Kellough's trying to make us think about gender by creating this world, the book definitely needs work. The characters are about as stereotypical as they can get - and interestingly enough, about half the women she creates are male with a female face, including a couple of instances of mansplaining that I thought were odd if her intent was to give a message about gender. Or maybe I just missed the point. ( )
  drneutron | Jul 20, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Bathwater Conspiracy by Janet Kellough wasn't all that original. I remember a TV movie or mini-series that had a similar premise. It wasn't all that bad though and had moments of interest. The pacing was slow with a lot of scenes that didn't do much to advance the story. It was a solid effort that should have gone through a few more edits. The ending was telegraphed at the very beginning. I don't believe it really represented a believable view of men. ( )
  Antares1 | Jul 12, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Janet Kellough's book The Bathwater Conspiracy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,167,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible