Salvation: A Novel (The Salvation Sequence)…

Salvation: A Novel (The Salvation Sequence) (edition 2018)

by Peter F. Hamilton (Author)

1921595,685 (3.66)17
"Humanity's complex relationship with technology spirals out of control in this first book of an all-new trilogy from "the owner of the most powerful imagination in science fiction" (Ken Follett). In 2204, humanity is expanding into the wider galaxy in leaps and bounds. Cutting-edge technology of linked jump gates has rendered most forms of transportation--including starships--virtually obsolete. Every place on earth, every distant planet humankind has settled, is now merely a step away from any other. And all seems wonderful--until a crashed alien spaceship of unknown origin is found on a newly-located world eighty-nine light years from Earth, carrying a cargo as strange as it is horrifying. To assess the potential of the threat a high-powered team is dispatched to investigate. But one of them may not be all they seem... Bursting with tension and big ideas, this standalone series highlights the inventiveness of an author at the top of his game, as the interweaving story lines tell us not only how humanity arrived at this moment, but also the far-future consequences that spin off from it"--… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Salvation: A Novel (The Salvation Sequence)
Authors:Peter F. Hamilton (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2018), 576 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library

Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton

I love Hamilton's stuff, but this felt too much like many of this Commonwealth novels, almost as if he decided to go back and restart with different technology. I love the characters and the way he describes the impact of technology on his relatively near future Earth though. As always, there's great stories here and very, very well written, but since I've read so much other Hamilton, it felt a little bit like a knock-off. ( )
  Karlstar | Nov 15, 2019 |
As usual a convincing world is built around significant social impacts of massive technological changes. The stories across the two timeline also add an interesting dimension. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like several other reviewers who won the ER audiobook, I think this book is just not suited to the audio format because of its flashback/flash forward story structure. I love idea-heavy sci-fi doorstoppers, and I enjoy audiobooks, but in this case I don't think they go together. There was nothing wrong with John Lee's narration, but tracking the complex story for nearly 20 hours of audio has proved too difficult and I bailed at the midpoint.

The concepts are interesting and the characters are vivid, but this is one where I think it's better to give the book my full attention, in print, rather than listening while commuting to work. ( )
  Euryale | Mar 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Salvation is my sixth Peter F. Hamilton book, although this time around I listened to the audiobook version, whereas the previous five trips have all been via reading. And I’ve learned several lessons about myself through this, namely that when listening to a science fiction book that includes skipping back and forth through timelines (that did happen, didn’t it? Sometimes while listening it seemed this way, although, to be fair, I could be wrong here), I need to make sure to focus my attention better. It took me much longer to get through this book than it should have, and I think part of this was because I couldn’t become as immersed while just listening, which I typically do while driving.

Those who have experienced Hamilton before know that his books are full of big ideas and multiple plots that might take you anywhere in the universe, and if your mind wanders a bit while listening, you might as well go back and listen again, or you will end up getting lost along the way. But while I’m sitting here seemingly taking the blame for not enjoying Salvation as much as I hoped I would, I do think this book lacked something compared to the others I’ve read in the past.

I’m not a fan of bad language in science fiction, because I like the idea of younger readers safely experiencing books with big ideas, but I did know coming in that Hamilton most certainly writes for adults. It’s just too bad, because look how popular something such as Star Wars is amongst all ages. But to each his own. If I decide to go further in this series, I’ll have to start over with this one, and read it the next time around so that I have a better understanding. And this is by no means to knock John Lee, who did an outstanding job with the narration. It’s really about me and the way I best absorb a novel with such big ideas and a wide cast of people. ( )
  Ed_Gosney | Mar 4, 2019 |
First in a new sequence by Peter F. Hamilton. Its structure is very much like the rest of his books, so am unsure why so many folks find it confusing. He generally skips around through time and space to tell a story, then combines the threads as the story goes on.

It is a bit different from the rest of the books I've read by him, in that we are meeting a new alien species and we are early on in the development of the society and world he normally writes in.

I enjoyed the look at the history of the world and how things began to come together, and was intrigued by the new species and wondering just what they were up to. Not surprisingly, things are not what they seem. and although the humans realize this, it is difficult to see through the fog to what is really going on.

I'll definitely read the rest of this series, as Hamilton is a favorite writer of mine. ( )
  majkia | Feb 27, 2019 |

An alien shipwreck is discovered on a planet at the very limits of human expansion – so Security Director Feriton Kayne selects a team to investigate. The ship’s sinister cargo not only raises bewildering questions, but could also foreshadow humanity’s extinction.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Peter F. Hamilton's book Salvation is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,315,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible