The Endless Beach by Jenny Colgan

The Endless Beach

by Jenny Colgan

Series: Mure (3)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Flore has given up her legal job to remain on Mure, her Scottish island homeland. She has her father and brothers as company, and a delightful little cafe to spruce up and run. If only her love life was equally idyllic. True, her boyfriend (her former lawyer boss) is dishily handsome. But he stays away from the island for far too long. Even when they are physically together, there remains emotional distance. What is it that keeps Joel so reserved? Why can’t he open up and trust Flora? Lesser story lines involve a refugee doctor reunited with his two sons, and another about a gay couple. I found Dr. Saif particularly sympathetic and he struggles to be a single parent, and grieves for his missing wife.

After being charmed by Colgan’s “Bookshop on the Corner”, I was thrilled to receive this ARC from the same author. Readers should beware that this is the second in a multi-part series. There was a book which preceded this, and at least one more to follow. I would recommend starting the series in order, lest one ride a teeter-totter of emotions - the rise of trying to catch up with everyone’s back story, only to hit the lows of too many loose and incomplete story lines by the end. Rest assured there is more to come in the next book in the series. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Jan 7, 2019 |
This is the second book in the series and thank God there’s going to be a third. No to sound dramatic but I can’t end this story on a cliffhanger, I’ll need more closure.

If you haven’t read the first book, I’d definitely suggest reading it first. It establishes the characters’ relationships and also there’s a lot of fun foodie talk.

Back to this book...Flora and Joel are now a couple but she is unsure of his feelings and his commitment level. He did move to Mure to be with her. But he is still away a lot and he does keep her at a distance.
His childhood is the reason for his attachment issues. He was put into foster care as s child and aged out of the system.
In the past, he has intentionally kept everyone at a distance.
But Flora knows she’s in love with him and she doesn’t want to be held at a distance.

Flora’s brother Fintin and his boyfriend Colton have fallen in love and committed to a future together.
But Colton is keeping a devastating secret and he’s forced Joel to keep it too.

And there’s Flora’s friend Lorna who is in love with Saif. Saif is a doctor, a Syrian refugee, torn away from his family four years ago. His wife might still be alive, so he can’t allow himself to dwell on potential romantic feelings towards Lorna.

I found some of the storylines quite sad. But I find this author’s writing to be rather uplifting. So, I know it’s not sad just for the sake of sad.

If I got to the end of this book and didn’t know a third was on the way I would feel the ending was too loose. Knowing there’s a third book, I think this story did a perfect job of moving the storyline forward while still leaving more story to be told in book three.

Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
The talented Jenny Colgan has taken us back to the Scottish Island of Mure, for the second Summer Seaside Kitchen book, where we get to see all of our favorite people again!

But with the good, comes the bad and as I was blubbering my way through this book, it showed me just how talented the author is, to provoke such a reaction in her readers.

Now I'm not going to go into everything on the island, but our favorite people are all there! Flora and Joel, Fintan and Coltan, Argot, Innis, and the rest of the family. But we also get to know Lorna better, and the doctor Saif. But the ugly head of Jan is there too, with the long-suffering Charlie! And I hate to say it, but I truly dislike Jan's character!

I will give you all warning though, this book deals with tough subjects, and one of them being cancer, which truly struck a nerve with me, as my father has been suffering from the same type in this book for years, and while I understand the situation, I kind of hope there is another book, where the character takes the experimental surgery. But I do praise the author, for highlighting one of the less publicized cancers.

Endless Beach is a beautiful story, filled with celebration, heartbreak, determination, and wonder! Which is why I give it 5 stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Dec 2, 2018 |
The Endless Beach is one of three novels set on Mure, a fictional town in northern Scotland. The first in the series was The Cafe by the Sea and the newest entry is Christmas on the Island.

Here are my earlier thoughts on The Cafe by the Sea:

Jenny Colgan is a talented writer of light, humorous women’s fiction. I find that her novels are good reads for when I want to escape. In this book, The Cafe by the Sea, the escape is to the fictional island of Mure in very northern Scotland. The scenery is beautiful, the family life complicated and the romance eventually works out as it tends to in this kind of fiction. Recommended for a relaxing, stressfree read.

My thoughts on The Endless Beach:

This novel picks up where the earlier one left off. It can be read as a standalone or as part of the series.

In The Endless Beach, old characters are back and the town is as idyllic as ever, although the characters' lives are not. Story lines felt deeper and more complex than in some of the other books that I have read by this author. The story of Saif was especially moving. A refugee and physician, Saif's wife and sons were left behind in Syria when he was given asylum in Scotland. In this novel, his sons are located and the trauma that they experience is explored. The reader watches as Saif tries to help the boys to adjust. For a writer of light fiction, this is a story of some depth.

Then there are Fintan and Colton, two gay characters whose relationship forms a key part of the novel. The author presents their deep love for one another while also making the reader well aware of a major obstacle that they face. No spoiler so I will not say more.

Flora and Joel are also working on their relationship. For reasons that the reader comes to understand more fully, commitment is frightening to Joel. What will happen to them? Will there be a good next step for them?

I found this to be the best book that i have read by this author. I was sorry to leave Mure but glad to know that I still have one more book in the series to read.
  joycelaudon | Nov 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't crazy about this book; yet, I usually enjoy Jenny Colgan's books. In this, Flora quits her London job and returns home to a Scottish island and opens a cafe. She originally went back there to conduct business with her boss (Joel), an attorney, who worked for Colton, a real estate entrepreneur who was buying property there. Her boss secretly fell in love with her (as did she with him) and decided to move there permanently as well, still working and traveling extensively for Colton. Of course, Flora and Joel could not share their feelings for each other, nor could Joel get over his upbringing which caused him to shy away from deep relationships with anyone. Then there is Colton who fell in love with Flora's brother, Innes, but is harboring a deep secret that only Joel knows that leads to more strife. If everyone talked to everyone else, I guess there wouldn't be a book. But while I enjoyed the characters, maybe that would have been a good thing. ( )
  bogopea | Oct 26, 2018 |

When Flora MacKenzie traded her glum career in London to reunite with her family on the remote Scottish island of Mure, she never dreamed that Joel, her difficult, adorable boss, would follow and that they would soon be taking their first faltering steps into romance.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jenny Colgan's book The Endless Beach is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible