For Every One by Jason Reynolds

For Every One

by Jason Reynolds

Originally performed at the Kennedy Center for the unveiling of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, and later as a tribute to Walter Dean Myers, this stirring and inspirational poem is New York Times bestselling author and National Book Award finalist Jason Reynolds's rallying cry to the dreamers of the world. For Every One is just that: for every one. For every one person. For every one dream. But especially for every one kid. The kids who dream of being better than they are. Kids who dream of doing more than they almost dare to dream. Kids who are like Jason Reynolds, a self-professed dreamer. Jason does not claim to know how to make dreams come true; he has, in fact, been fighting on the front line of his own battle to make his own dreams a reality. He expected to make it when he was sixteen. Then eighteen. Then twenty-five. Now, some of those expectations have been realized. But others, the most important ones, lay ahead, and a lot of them involve kids, how to inspire them. All the kids who are scared to dream, or don ́t know how to dream, or don ́t dare to dream because they ́ve never seen a dream come true. Jason wants kids to know that dreams take time. They involve countless struggles. But no matter how many times a dreamer gets beat down, the drive and the passion and the hope never fully extinguish, because just having the dream is the start you need, or you won ́t get anywhere anyway, and that is when you have to take a leap of faith.… (more)

Written by a black young adult who is struggling with the price we pay for expression of ourselves and the longing to fulfill our soul's path.

Good writing, wonderful thoughts
  Whisper1 | Aug 19, 2019 |
It is, perhaps, cheating to count this one poem, written on 101 pages with lots of blank spaces, and read in a morning - devoured, really, while I sat and kept going instead of making my breakfast or getting ready for work - a book. But it's a powerful little piece written by young poet and author Jason Reynolds. In it, he encourages the dreamers, not that the narrator of the poem knows anything, but still tells the readers that to dream and strive is worth the struggle. It's beautifully written and will stay with me for a long time. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Jul 12, 2019 |
Beautiful, inspiring book. I read it quickly, crying pretty much the whole time. Amazing. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Jun 4, 2019 |
My book club read a number of Jason Reynolds’ titles and enjoyed them all, so I was excited to discover this short memoir. Mr. Reynolds subtitles it: “A poem. A nod. A nothing to lose.” I like this.
For Every One shows readers how it feels to be a dreamer, asks if “making it” really matters, and offers encouragement. Printed in a typewriter font interjected with large, capitalized italics, Mr. Reynolds’ words feature wise, yet humble advice and honest sharing. The refrain: “I DON’T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THAT” is like a chorus that helps me think about my own ignorance, while acknowledging that I’m continually learning and growing.
A slim, heartfelt, inspirational letter of a book that is perfect for graduates … and For Every One. ( )
  bookwren | May 6, 2019 |
For Every One
by: Jason Reynolds
2018
Caitlyn Dlouhy Books
4.0 / 5.0

A fast, but deep, volume of poems that could be used as meditation or affirmations, and written as if it was a letter.They are simple, and direct and encouraging. The lay-out and type are perfect, and highlight courage and the importance of dreaming. This volume gives us courage to take that first step, the power of dreams is For Every One.
This was originally performed at the Kennedy Center for the unveiling of the Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial, and later, as a tribute to Walter Dean Myers .
Awesome letter! ( )
  over.the.edge | Apr 16, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible