The Glass Ocean: A Novel by Beatriz Williams

The Glass Ocean: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Beatriz Williams (Author), Lauren Willig (Author), Karen White (Author)

Member:kelli413
Title:The Glass Ocean: A Novel
Authors:Beatriz Williams (Author)
Other authors:Lauren Willig (Author), Karen White (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2018), 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2019, historical fiction, espionage, WW1, Lusitania

The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams

Recommended for fans of historical fiction, particularly if you like a dash of romance and suspense thrown in as well. ( )
  kelli413 | Jan 11, 2019 |
Sarah is an author looking for her next great story. She knows of an ancestor that was on the Lusitania when it sunk. She’s always been curious what really happened.

In 1915, Caroline and Tess were both onboard the ship.
Caroline was a wealthy woman with a complicated relationship with her husband. She loved him but she also loved Robert. She wants a baby but has been unable to get pregnant, partly because of how little attention her husband pays to her.
When she winds up on the same ship as Robert, it’s a bit dramatic.

Tess is poor. She’s on the ship with her sister. Trying to run one last con, so she can be fully free from the life she lives. She dreams of a fresh start in a new land.

I enjoyed the characters and the storyline. It makes me want to learn more about the Lusitania too.
  Mishale1 | Jan 2, 2019 |
Of course this book landed in my hands. I am a big fan of Historical Fiction with Beatriz Williams on the top of my list of favorites authors. I was not disappointed in the least and was sad when I completed it. Now I am going to do more research myself on the history of the Lusitania because she really sparked my interest. What a great book! ( )
  TeresaChristensen | Dec 17, 2018 |
Historical fiction (my favorite genre) with alternating timelines, a little bit of romance and the added draw of being set on a doomed oceanliner. Quick-paced and interesting, and I enjoyed some of the characters, but Caroline's character and storyline annoyed me. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
The Glass Ocean is the story of three different women. Sarah is an author looking for a book. Family papers lead her to Devon to research the story of two ancestors who were on the Lusitania when it was hit by a German torpedo. Caroline is a society woman married to a rich industrialist who is on the Lusitania. And Tess is a con artist, also on the Lusitania to perpetuate a scheme involving a lost Strauss waltz and German codes.
The story of each woman is written by a different author, and the chapters alternate, but they mesh seamlessly into a story both historically interesting and with romantic intrigue. Sarah and John, the two descendants of people on the Lusitania, research their ancestors and find their own romance. Caroline, her husband Gilbert, and friend Robert have their own complicated love triangle overlaid with political issues from WWI. And Tess falls in love with Robert, but has loyalties of her own to her sister who may or may not be a traitor.
I very much enjoyed this book, staying up late to finish it. I like all three authors - Ms. Willig is a special favorite. Their writing is rich with details for each setting, and their characters are realistic. I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Nov 13, 2018 |

Williams, Beatrizprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, Karenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Willig, Laurenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,726,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible