Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle (1)) by C. L.…

Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle (1)) (edition 2018)

by C. L. Polk (Author)

Series: The Kingston Cycle (1)

In an original world reminiscent of Edwardian England in the shadow of a World War, cabals of noble families use their unique magical gifts to control the fates of nations, while one young man seeks only to live a life of his own. Magic marked Miles Singer for suffering the day he was born, doomed either to be enslaved to his family's interest or to be committed to a witches' asylum. He went to war to escape his destiny and came home a different man, but he couldn't leave his past behind. The war between Aeland and Laneer leaves men changed, strangers to their friends and family, but even after faking his own death and reinventing himself as a doctor at a cash-strapped veterans' hospital, Miles can't hide what he truly is. When a fatally poisoned patient exposes Miles' healing gift and his witchmark, he must put his anonymity and freedom at risk to investigate his patient's murder. To find the truth he'll need to rely on the family he despises, and on the kindness of the most gorgeous man he's ever seen.… (more)
Member:rayrile
Title:Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle (1))
Authors:C. L. Polk (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2018), 320 pages
Collections:Switzerland, Your library

Witchmark by C. L. Polk

Recently added bymargaretkwon, private library, MenloPark, JDpirate5, tmpalmer
    That Inevitable Victorian Thing by E. K. Johnston (Aquila)
    Aquila: These seem to come from the same wellspring.

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
I loved this book, it gave me feels. The romance was SO CUTE. I need more books with this kind of gay romance, between adults, between witches, in a world with magic, in an adult fantasy story like this one!

Also, the romance didn't overtake the plot of the story, the intrigue was great as well! I would like to have more rules for the magic system but it was good anyway. The political system, the morals of the society and overall the word itself was great, it felt immersive without long, boring details about everything.

Also, I really really liked the characters. Miles was adorable and strong, and we need more gay men like him. Tristan won my heart in the first page he appeared. Grace was a little irritating but I could understand her. Robin, the nurse, she's intriguing and for what I read the third book is about her and I'm really glad for that.

I "predicted" the problem with the soul, the possession part, but I think is a cool mystery anyway and it bends really well with the word and the magic itself. I also liked that they couldn't resolve the problem convincing all the others mages because that would be the easy solution.

The thing with the souls at the end, when they bonded with Miles was really cool, how he felt and saw the memories of all those people and everything. Also, the stakes... I thought for a moment he would die lol

This left me wanting to read the second book right away so I could discover more about this world and the story, so I hope I'm able to read it soon. ( )
  Merlucito | Jul 30, 2020 |
Please overlook the ugly cover and read this, it's worth it.

RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
I honestly did not know what to expect with this except that a ton of people I know swore by it. So sure, I barely looked at the blurb and dove right in, basically clueless.

What I found was a mystery soon after a world war, featuring a hounded mage serving as a doctor in England. Cool. And yet, for me, the charm was in the strong voice, the genuine sympathy, and the wonderful details of the time and place.

Of course, there's a lot of really horrible situations going on here, like being bound magically to a Mage's will, becoming a battery to someone else's magic. The Doctor went to war to escape that fate and became a doctor... but the world pulled him back into the old horrible intrigue.

And then the love story happens. And let me say this... I was charmed to death. :) Yes, it's LGBT, but I have to admit it's just charming as hell. :) The meet-cute fit perfectly with love at first sight but in this case, it's hard to tell whether the Fae is charming the magician or vice-versa. :)

The rest of the novel had a freaking awesome plot, too.

I think I'm going to be following this author for everything she does. I am totally trusting her. I did not expect to like this or any of the subject half as much as I actually did.

It just goes to prove: Good is Good. No matter what. :) ( )
1 vote bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
full review here ( )
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
3.5 stars

This book reminded me a lot of Amberlough. Like Amberlough, it features queer male protagonists and its world is based on early 20th century Europe. Unlike Amberlough, it's much more of a fantasy in nature and is a much quicker read. Like Amberlough, I thought it was well done yet felt at an emotional distance from it. I appreciated it more than I actually enjoyed it, if that makes sense.

But that's just my emotional reaction. From a more objective point of view, it's well written with truly wonderful worldbuilding and an arresting plot. I definitely know multiple people I would recommend it to; there are a lot of people who are going to name this one of their favorites of the year. It isn't one of mine, but I am glad it was written and I'll definitely read the rest of the series. ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |

C. L. Polkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roukin, SamuelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To AJ and Tom, who were there every day
The memo stank of barrel-printing ink and bad news.

Magic marked Miles Singer for suffering the day he was born, doomed either to be enslaved to his family's interest or to be committed to a witches' asylum. He went to war to escape his destiny and came home a different man, but he couldn’t leave his past behind. The war between Aeland and Laneer leaves men changed, strangers to their friends and family, but even after faking his own death and reinventing himself as a doctor at a cash-strapped veterans' hospital, Miles can’t hide what he truly is.

When a fatally poisoned patient exposes Miles’ healing gift and his witchmark, he must put his anonymity and freedom at risk to investigate his patient’s murder. To find the truth he’ll need to rely on the family he despises, and on the kindness of the most gorgeous man he’s ever seen.

At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,564,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible