My Oxford Year

by Julia Whelan

2001499,206 (3.81)7
Major Motion Picture Already in Development with Temple Hill Entertainment One of the Best Books of April for Brit + Co and Liz and Lisa! Set amidst the breathtaking beauty of Oxford, this sparkling debut novel tells the unforgettable story about a determined young woman eager to make her mark in the world and the handsome man who introduces her to an incredible love that will irrevocably alter her future--perfect for fans of JoJo Moyes and Nicholas Sparks. American Ella Durran has had the same plan for her life since she was thirteen: Study at Oxford. At 24, she's finally made it to England on a Rhodes Scholarship when she's offered an unbelievable position in a rising political star's presidential campaign. With the promise that she'll work remotely and return to DC at the end of her Oxford year, she's free to enjoy her Once in a Lifetime Experience. That is, until a smart-mouthed local who is too quick with his tongue and his car ruins her shirt and her first day. When Ella discovers that her English literature course will be taught by none other than that same local, Jamie Davenport, she thinks for the first time that Oxford might not be all she's envisioned. But a late-night drink reveals a connection she wasn't anticipating finding and what begins as a casual fling soon develops into something much more when Ella learns Jamie has a life-changing secret. Immediately, Ella is faced with a seemingly impossible decision: turn her back on the man she's falling in love with to follow her political dreams or be there for him during a trial neither are truly prepared for. As the end of her year in Oxford rapidly approaches, Ella must decide if the dreams she's always wanted are the same ones she's now yearning for.  … (more)

Took a surprising turn into the cancer genre but I enjoyed it in the end. ( )
  littlemuls | Sep 26, 2020 |
The first half of this was good but not great, the second half was very much ugh and I mostly skimmed. It would've been good to know that this falls into the "cancer book" category - though maybe I should've guessed considering it says "for fans of Nicholas Sparks and Jojo Moyes" (which I am decidedly not). ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Very predictable from the guy being sick to daddy issues to so many... mistakes. This really portrays Americans as beyond stupid. There are scenes where TEA impresses the main woman. Tea. Americans have tea too.

To summarize this book best, please view this review on it: https://youtu.be/zD5fisqWI30 ( )
  Yolken | May 21, 2020 |
I won't be the first to say that this has a very Me Before You feel to it.

Romance is not my favorite genre. That being said, I was adequately entertained by My Oxford Year. Be willing to suspend your disbelief on MC Ella's credentials and opportunities in relation to her age and experience. ( )
1 vote joyblue | Apr 7, 2020 |
I am going to do my best to write a spoiler free review. I will start by saying Julia Whelen has long been my very favorite audiobook reader, and I will often listen to books I would not have otherwise picked up because she read them. So I knew I had to dive into the book she wrote, her first I believe, and I needed to listen to it with her reading it. The narration is, as expected, fantastic. For the first half this was a 5-star, It was charming and funny and naughty and a love letter to Oxford, which is certainly a place worth loving. It was also a love letter to good poetry and Middlemarch -- also worthy loves. I adored Ella and Jamie (another worthy love interest), but also Charlie and Maggie (Tom a bit less, but he is a minor character.) Something comes to light later in the book that changes the tone and trajectory of the entire story, and while I thought the rest of the book smart and beautifully written, it just wasn't the story I signed on for. So 5-star for quality but I am dropping a star for my personal experience because I just wanted the happy. That said I couldn't tear myself away from this book -- this is going to make a great Netflix movie -- there is a floppy haired beautiful English actor who will make a perfect Jamie (Nicholas Hoult?), and I feel like Zoey Deutsch could tackle Emma. ( )
  Narshkite | Jan 30, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,522,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible