Lies Sleeping: The Seventh Rivers of London…

Lies Sleeping: The Seventh Rivers of London novel (A Rivers of London… (edition 2019)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

3201752,038 (3.93)46
Member:evareads
Title:Lies Sleeping: The Seventh Rivers of London novel (A Rivers of London novel)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2019), 416 pages
Tags:fantasy

Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch

A plot summary of this book that makes sense without spoilers is a tall order indeed. Suffice it to say that the Folly are involved in a major operation with the main Metropolitan Police to bring down the Faceless Man, and there are seriously deep roots to the potential magical consequences.

What I like about this series is simply tagging along with Peter and the gang. Peter is an engaging narrator and it has been a pleasure to watch him learn and grow as a practitioner of magic within the police force. I like seeing how the mundane and the magical interact, especially when it’s a scenario like Nightingale mastering “the dark art of Skyping”. I love Nightingale *heart-eyes emoji* And as a process nerd I LOVE seeing how Peter, Nightingale, Dr Walid, and Dr Vaughan are documenting their processes and procedures (and to be honest, sometimes figuring out what those procedures are in the first place).

It may be beneficial to read the books in the series fairly close together, in one long unapologetic binge, because there were parts where I knew I should be remembering something but I wasn’t quite getting there. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the ride. ( )
  rabbitprincess | May 24, 2019 |
Nice! All those threads from The Hanging Tree start connecting up - well, ok, many of them do. Not all. The major villain is The Faceless Man, again, but directly this time rather than through yet another patsy. Various and assorted plots are variously dealt with - and Lesley is important on many levels. Glad to see she's not entirely on the other side... Peter seems to grow up a bit, too, in terms of accepting that he needs to study his own field. And some interesting mentions of other fields - the Rivers, of course, but new and different angles as well. Not an ending, I don't think, but some major stuff dealt with - and some very interesting things started. Hope there's more coming! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 3, 2019 |
The final (?) confrontation between Peter Grant and the other denizens of the Folly and the Faceless Man.

I enjoy these books while I'm reading them but don't find them particularly memorable, so a lot of the time I don't really get the references to events in earlier volumes in the series. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 30, 2019 |
Rezension folgt. Spoiler: geiler Scheiß. Echt mal. Und jetzt wieder warten aufs nächste.... ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
As others have noted, while this book does feature the final climactic battle with Martin ("The Faceless Man") Chorley it doesn't seem to be as important as one might have thought, considering how much the previous books in this series were invested in this long chase. Perhaps the death of Chorley's daughter previously was the real climax of this story arc (I'd still like a story from her perspective). That said those who have been following this series will be happy with this book and one can only speculate what Aaronovitch will do with Peter, now that he is basically a functioning adult. With the forthcoming side adventure set in Germany perhaps the goal will be to generally broaden this universe. Also, I was somewhat bemused that my old home town (Cleveland, Ohio) was invoked in the course of the story. ( )
  Shrike58 | Mar 7, 2019 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The best revenge is not to become like your enemy. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6
This book is dedicated to all the people whose job it is to rush into danger when everybody else is running in the opposite direction.
It’s tedious stuff, but it all goes into the great mill of HOLMES-2; the better to grind the flour of Truth and produce the wholesome bread of Justice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,914,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible