The Book of M: A Novel by Peng Shepherd

The Book of M: A Novel

by Peng Shepherd

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (anissaannalise)
    anissaannalise: This is another look at humanity post-apocalypse and has a similar tone.
    The Space Between the Stars by Anne Corlett (anissaannalise)

English (33)  Piratical (1)  All languages (34)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction unless the writing is extremely good, and this novel seemed a little light. The plot felt loosely put together, making the jumps in time and place a little hard vcd to follow. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jul 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've had this book for quite some time and simply forgot that I had it (kicking myself now because I could have read it months ago). This is simply one of those stories that's a bit difficult to describe, but if you enjoy reading stories that are different and deal with relationships then The Book of M is just the book for you. This read offers a little bit of everything. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Jun 21, 2019 |
Actual rating 4.5 stars and RTC ( )
  deesbooknook78 | Jun 18, 2019 |
Peng is a friend of a friend, and I read an early version of this book back before it sold. I read lots of manuscripts from unpublished writers, and most of them have major problems, both in the writing and the structure. But with this book, I remember thinking, there is really something here. It's just like when you hear the opening chords of a song on the radio, and you don't even know what it is yet, but you already know it's something new and special. In the same way, from the first pages of the book that'd become this book, I knew I was in good hands. This book has the bones of a post-apocalyptic thriller--in this, it does even STATION ELEVEN one better, because, for all of STATION ELEVEN's greatness, the plot was never particularly propulsive--and those bones give us something to root for: a person that's in jeopardy, a trip that's full of excitement, wonder, and danger, and plenty of suspense.

But what makes the book special is what the author has hung upon those bones. The books pays so much attention to its various relationships and to the things that make its characters human--particularly the things they continue to live for, despite this desperate world. In this it often resembles the best television--THE WALKING DEAD or THE HANDMAID'S TALE (and yes I know both of those are based on books)--more than it does most post-apocalyptic fiction.

Basically, if, just as much as the thrill and wonder of speculative fiction, you also crave a feeling of connection to _real_ people, you're going to love this book. ( )
  rahkan | Jun 7, 2019 |

Peng Shepherdprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Set in a dangerous near future world, The Book of M tells the captivating story of a group of ordinary people caught in an extraordinary catastrophe who risk everything to save the ones they love. It is a sweeping debut that illuminates the power that memories have not only on the heart, but on the world itself. One afternoon at an outdoor market in India, a man's shadow disappears--an occurrence science cannot explain. He is only the first. The phenomenon spreads like a plague, and while those afflicted gain a strange new power, it comes at a horrible price: the loss of all their memories. Ory and his wife Max have escaped the Forgetting so far by hiding in an abandoned hotel deep in the woods. Their new life feels almost normal, until one day Max's shadow disappears too. Knowing that the more she forgets, the more dangerous she will become to Ory, Max runs away. But Ory refuses to give up the time they have left together. Desperate to find Max before her memory disappears completely, he follows her trail across a perilous, unrecognizable world, braving the threat of roaming bandits, the call to a new war being waged on the ruins of the capital, and the rise of a sinister cult that worships the shadowless. As they journey, each searches for answers: for Ory, about love, about survival, about hope; and for Max, about a new force growing in the south that may hold the cure. Like The Passage and Station Eleven, this haunting, thought-provoking, and beautiful novel explores fundamental questions of memory, connection, and what it means to be human in a world turned upside down"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Peng Shepherd's book The Book of M was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,503,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible