Pretty little mistakes : a do-over novel by…

Pretty little mistakes : a do-over novel (edition 2007)

by Heather McElhatton

Member:BibliAuPair
Title:Pretty little mistakes : a do-over novel
Authors:Heather McElhatton
Info:New York, N.Y.: Harper, c2007. 504 p. ; 21 cm. 1st ed
Tags:ala freebie, paperback, fiction

Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton

I remember those choose you own adventure books from the 70s. This one is fun for the first few read throughs. I should have left it at that instead of leaving it on the back of the commode and methodically checking out all the story lines. One section left me baffled (109) and there were quite a few repetitions. Some endings were cute and sweet, but some were gratingly flippant and bitter. It is a fun gimmick, but it needed more quality control. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This is not some deep and meaningful great work. But it is indeed a hilarious, and sometimes hilariously sad, adult choose your own adventure book. Remember those terrible little books from childhood? I feel like they were often horror/creepy stories, but I know there had to have been other options. They were hardly ever written well or with much depth but they were still a blast to read again and again to find out how all your different choices led you to different endings. A sneak peak into all the possible futures the author supplied.

Well, you can experience that same fun again, albeit a much more adult version/18 , with much better writing. It is full of absolutely absurd blips into the life you choose, many tragic endings and a few real gems hidden in there. I'm sure I didn't make it down every single path possible in this book quite yet, but I made it through at least 90% of it. Can we make adult choose-your-own books the new in 'thing?' I want more!

This is absolutely a book you can pick up if you only have a quick 15 minutes to read, or one you can sit and puzzle through for a few hours. Very fun, definitely getting the second book and I'm eagerly gathering any other choose your own books I can find. ( )
  brittburkard | Feb 4, 2019 |
Some seriously disturbing assumptions are made in this book and I didn't like a lot of the so-called "choices". This book should have been called 45 ways to be sexually assaulted because it seems like no matter what you chose to do that's what happened to your character. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
It's fun to pick your own ending, but the use of 2nd person POV is really annoying! ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 14, 2013 |
Borrowed from LeeAnn.

This is such a fun (and sometimes really heartbreakingly sad?) book! I think my favorite parts were how so many situations could turn into situations-involving-meth, any guy you were involved with had a humorously giant dick, and you got killed by terrorists a lot. Also you were constantly getting accidentally pregnant? Like, were you just straight up not on birth control or bad about taking it or what? You were just always suddenly realizing you were pregnant by the giant-dicked guy you were dating and I feel like in one of your reincarnations you would've gotten tired of this. Definitely worth picking up if the idea of a collection of short stories that's also a game appeals to you. ( )
  amwsmith | Apr 1, 2013 |
Laughter and fistfights.

There are hundreds of lives sown inside Pretty Little Mistakes, Heather McElhatton's singularly spectacular, breathtakingly unique novel that has more than 150 possible endings. You may end up in an opulent mansion or homeless down by the river; happily married with your own corporation or alone and pecked to death by ducks in London; a Zen master in Japan or morbidly obese in a trailer park.

Is it destiny or decision that controls our fate? You can't change your past and start over from scratch in real life—but in Pretty Little Mistakes, you can! But be warned, choose wisely.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:15 -0400)

In real life there's no turning back. Now's the chance to start over - again, and again, and again... It all begins after high school. Nothing's simple any more. Should you do the right thing and go to college? Or why not walk on the wild side and travel?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,429,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible