Agent Bayne

by Jordan Castillo Price

Series: PsyCop (9)

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

Victor Bayne is through with the Chicago PD. Can he handle the FPMP?

After years of frustration as a PsyCop, Victor Bayne reports for duty at the Federal Psychic Monitoring Program. As a fledgeling agent, hes ready to smoke out a few ghosts and be home each night in time for dinner. But is he prepared to add a professional dimension to his romantic partnership with Jacob Marks?

Jacob has already established his territory at the FPMPhes competent, hes respected, and hes pretty much fearless. The last thing Vic wants to do is screw up in front of him.

When fellow agents start turning up dead, Vic is expected to do more than just lay their ghosts to rest. But what if his psychic talent isnt quite enough? As the death toll rises, he and Jacob scramble to determine whos in danger, and whos a killer.

Using all the resources at their disposal, they close in on their suspect. But as they do, their past comes back to haunt themand even Jacob worries theyve tampered with forces they should have left alone. Are their combined talents enough to protect them from enemies both living and dead?

… (more)

Nine novels in, and the action & revelations just keep on coming! SO glad this series isn't done!

Bayne's adjustment to his new job is so... So very, very Vic that, aside from trying to figure out the mystery, and laughing at his sarcasm, (and 'awww'ing at him with Jacob), I reveled in the very Victor Bayne-ness of it all. (I hope we get another Crash story some time, too.)

My fellow writers: I read the 'about this story' by Price, and it made me feel a lot better about my own writing attempts. If, like me, your process includes more questions than answers, don't skip this part.

I recommend this series every time I finish one of the novels. This one's no exception. There are major plot elements revealed about Vic's childhood, something that speaks to every aspect of his story and makes me want to re-read them now.

If YOU happened across this review and now want to start the series, the first one, Among the Living, is free in ebook on amazon now, you lucky dog. ( )
  terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
Vic's come a long way from the neurotic, introverted and very shy man we meet at the beginning of the series. He's still shy, socially awkward, and neurotic, but that's why we like him so much, right? Jacob, too, has grown and the relationship has settled into something solid and real.

The job for the FPMP has him frazzled and confused. Regional Director Laura Kim wants him to find and train more mediums, but there really is no standard for such a search, so he's floundering. When one of FPMP's agents turns up dead, he, Jacob, and Agent Bly (who I would love to see get at least a short story of his own) are tapped to track down the killer. To help with the ghost hunting and medium search duties, Regional Director Kim brings in help in the person of "Dead" Darla, another of Vic's old Heliotrope class mates. Though they get off to a rocky start, they find their talents complement each other and that they're capable of getting along just fine.

To top it off, we finally get some real glimpses into Vic's past, before Camp Hell, before the trip to the psych ward. Not all of it was bad, happily, but ... we're talking about JC Price here folks. She's sneaky and clever. I want to know more and she just hints at the things hiding just out of sight. sigh.

It's nice, too, to see Crash happy too with Red. What an interesting pair they make.

When I finished this book, I thought, no way is this the last book in the series because there are just too many loose threads dangling .... book ten will be out later this year! YAY! ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
Loved!
I really love what working at the FPMP did to Vic. He seems to have more confidence and is much friendlier. Looking forward to more! ( )
  NannyOgg13 | Mar 27, 2021 |
And the final book in this series... Shees! I'm going to miss Vic and Jacob, and all ~sighs~
Vic is now working with the FPMP, Laura is his new boss and oh! look who is here too! His old frenemy from Camp Hell, Dead Darla!

One of the things I have loved more about this series is watching Vic change, adapt, and get a better understanding of himself and his past. This book is not an exception. While working in the death of his fellow agents Vic faces all those blank spots from his past and finally understands how different is working in a place when he's not a freak but a trusted and respected member of the organization.

A great story, as always. And I'm so willing to explore Vic's relationship with Darla! Those two are both powerful mediums but they approach is so different... I would love to see them working together :D

*sits and waits for more PsyCop* ( )
  Claudia_M | Oct 27, 2018 |

Price, Jordan CastilloAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pugh, GomezNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

PsyCop (9)
To Paula Foley Tillen and Bob Tillen, who love cemeteries
Jodie Lobb, who loaned me her name for an FPMP agent
and Della Boynton, who finds dead bodies
I often wonder what history's first party was like.

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. LGBTQIA+ (Fiction.) HTML:

Victor Bayne is through with the Chicago PD. Can he handle the FPMP?

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,409,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible