Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You…

Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You Want (edition 2018)

by Ruby Tandoh (Author)

TOP TEN SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER Think about that first tickle of hunger in your stomach. A moment ago, you could have been thinking about anything, but now it's thickly buttered marmite toast, a frosty scoop of ice cream straight from the tub, some creamy, cheesy scrambled eggs or a fuzzy, perfectly-ripe peach.Eating is one of life's greatest pleasures. Food nourishes our bodies, helps us celebrate our successes (from a wedding cake to a post-night out kebab), cheers us up when we're down, introduces us to new cultures and - when we cook and eat together - connects us with the people we love.In Eat Up, Ruby Tandoh celebrates the fun and pleasure of food, taking a look at everything from gluttons and gourmets in the movies, to the symbolism of food and sex. She will arm you against the fad diets, food crazes and bad science that can make eating guilt-laden and expensive, drawing eating inspiration from influences as diverse as Roald Dahl, Nora Ephron and Gemma from TOWIE. Filled with straight-talking, sympathetic advice on everything from mental health to recipe ideas and shopping tips, this is a book that clears away the fog, to help you fall back in love with food.… (more)
Member:Marytudor
Title:Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You Want
Authors:Ruby Tandoh (Author)
Info:Serpent's Tail (2018), Edition: Main, 256 pages

Eat Up: Food, Appetite and Eating What You Want by Ruby Tandoh

This was everything I was hoping for in a food book, and that's a high bar to clear. It dives lovingly and without fear into every messy thing about food--class, race, appropriation, fatphobia, morals, sexuality, religion, eating disorders. You name it, Ruby is thinking about it and how it relates to food, how it changes how we relate to food. This book is anti-diet, anti-racist, and pro-joy. Ruby dissects all the pitfalls that keep us from eating in ways that truly enrich our lives, and then invites you to make your own choices about what a joyful good existence looks like for you. This will certainly be one of the best books I read this year. Read it! ( )
  schufman | Jul 20, 2019 |
This is a wonderful book that serves a refreshing antidote to the current craze for gluten-free, sugar-free, fat-free, dairy-free and basically fun-free 'wellness' and fad diets.

Ruby Tandoh is best known for her turn on the Great British Bake Off a few years ago, and for bringing out two excellent cookbooks - Crumb and Flavour - since then. She has also become an advocate for looking after your mental health and not feeling guilty about liking food, the latter of which forms the crux of Eat Up! (while also connecting nicely with the former theme).

The book explores various issues around how we buy, cook and eat food, and how we feel while doing all three things. Tandoh delves into everything from the biological processes associated with eating and digestion to seasonal eating, food poverty, junk food and emotional over- and under-eating. There are also a few recipes scattered throughout the book.

Throughout, she sets out the case for acknowledging a piece of common sense that we all probably know deep down, but can't bring ourselves to actually put into action - it's perfectly normal to enjoy eating, even if someone else thinks you're eating the wrong things or the wrong amount of food. Tandoh writes from experience not just as a TV baker and food writer, but also as someone who suffered from various eating disorders when she was younger.

As such, her writing is evocative, assured, friendly and never judgmental. As someone who has run the gauntlet of losing lots of weight through a popular weight loss plan, putting most of it back on again and trying (and failing) to get back to my lowest weight, I found Eat Up! a fascinating, thought-provoking and comforting read. ( )
1 vote mooingzelda | Feb 4, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,535,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible