One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Harper…

One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) (edition 2006)

by Gabriel García Márquez (Escritor)

Member:Tessabelle
Title:One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Authors:Gabriel García Márquez (Escritor)
Info:Harper Collins (2006), Edition: 01, 417 pages

Méditations très courtes (French Edition) by Adham Cherkaoui

I think that it took the author a lot of dedication and deciplin to write this novel. I am at owe of how he managed to follow the lives of seven generations of the Buendia family. However, I didn't feel what everyone is talking about when describing the book, it didn't raise any feelings inside me while reading. The characters lived and died without me developing any attachments to them. And of course there is the too many Aurelianos who totally confused me... I will try to read articles about why is this novel classified as a classic :-( ( )
  Douna1980 | Sep 3, 2021 |
Follows the story of the town of Macondo, via several generations of the founding family.
Well, yes.
*ahem*
I really don't like it when I don't like a classic, but...I just didn't like this one. I think, maybe, it's two things: 1) I don't like it when the narrator does *everything* and there's little to no dialogue helping to move the story forward. I don't like being so far removed from the characters. 2) I think I just don't like this kind of magical realism, in which the magic is so very much an undercurrent and is never looked at directly and never explained.
So, yeah. I think I'm just not a fan. Apologies to the world of Good Literature. ( )
  electrascaife | Nov 1, 2020 |
This is one of those books that I didn't necessarily enjoy while I was reading, but am glad I read. It is the story of seven generations of the Buendia family in their small village of Mocondo. It tells the story of their relationships beginning with the nearly utopic founding of Mocondo all the way through it's violent end. It is the story of generational patterns and mistakes, and the inevitability of conflict through life. Through metaphors and magical realism, it tells the story of Colombia and Latin America.
Ultimately, I wanted to enjoy the book more than I did. I like the themes and the idea of it, but I found the writing pretentious, and I think that due to a gap in my education regarding Latin America, a lot of the symbolism and allegories went over my head. ( )
  dafnab | Oct 21, 2020 |
Nothing strikes fear in the heart of this reader more than the words "magical realism." However, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" manages to incorporate it in such an interesting way that I really didn't mind it so much.

The sprawling novel tells the story of several generations of the Buendia family, who founded the fictional city of Macondo. The characters were interesting and their stories weave through each other in an compelling way.

Garcia Marquez is a lovely writer -- there were so many great visuals that flashed through my head due to his word pictures. ( )
  amerynth | Sep 24, 2020 |
A Wonderful Reward

"One Hundred Years of Solitude" is an incredible book. It is lush, complex, and, as most critics say, magical.

The fluidity of the prose, even in translation, is wonderful. As many of the critics here point out, the book can be tedious at times. Keeping the names of the characters straight is difficult. But the reward of finishing this book is like wonderful. Readers will feel emotionally exhausted at the end.

There are many off-putting moments in the book, such as the numerous instances of incest, but it is all thematic. In fact, each passage reads theatrically. I don't believe there is a better opening chapter in all of literature. ( )
  mvblair | Aug 8, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,436,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible