Monstress Volume 3 by Marjorie M. Liu

Monstress Volume 3

by Marjorie M. Liu, Sana Takeda (Artist)

Other authors: (Editor) Jennifer M. Smith (Editor.), Rus Wooton (Letterer.)

Series: Monstress (13-18)

Maika Halfwolf has begun to unlock the mysteries of her past--but the challenges of the present are only growing. Maika's journey takes her to the neutral city of Pontus, where she hopes to find temporary refuge from her pursuers. Unfortunately, Pontus may not be as safe as Maika and her allies had hoped. As the impending war between humans and Arcanics creeps ever closer, and powerful players fight for the chance to control her future, Maika finds she must work with Zinn, the Monstrum that lives inside her, in order to ensure their mutual survival. But even that alliance might not be enough to prepare Maika for the horrors to come.… (more)

Wow. This series just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for vol. 4. If you like comics / graphic novels at all, you owe it to yourself to at least take a peek into this series - the art is incredible, and the story is great. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Some interesting plot developments here, although I found the details especially at the end a little hard to follow. I love what Kippa adds to the story, a voice of conscience as well as a personal connection for the other characters. The down-to-earth realities happening in the background are a good contrast to the dreamlike quality of much of what Maika goes through. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jul 30, 2019 |
I wrote a lukewarm review of volume two of Monstress but I think I was trying to convince myself I liked it more than I actually did; there's a reason that when I filled out my ballot for the 2018 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story I placed it last. So I decided to stop picking up its volumes at that point-- however when volume three also became a finalist, I decided I might as well keep my set going. Anyway, I get that people like this but I just do not. Sana Takeda's art is marvelous and gorgeous, but Marjorie Liu's writing has largely lost me by this point. I just don't care about Meika or her backstory or her mom or her backstory or her captive god or its backstory. It's all a bit too unrelentingly grim and humorless. The sparks of light come from the innocent fox Arcanic, Kippa, and her attempts to make the world a better place, and the cat spymaster, Ren Mormorian, and his attempts to do right by his various allegiances but also by Kippa. However, there was much less of the two of them in this volume than in previous ones, and hence it suffered for it. I'm done with the series. (Unless, of course, it ends up on the Hugo ballot again!)
  Stevil2001 | Jul 26, 2019 |
To quote the poets... holy fucking shit... ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
See my review for Vol 1. ( )
  majesdane | Jan 8, 2019 |

Marjorie M. Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Takeda, SanaArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, (Editor) Jennifer M.Editor.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wooton, RusLetterer.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,824,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible