Monstress Volume 3 by Marjorie Liu

Monstress Volume 3 (edition 2018)

by Marjorie Liu (Author), Sana Takeda (Artist)

Member:EnidaV
Title:Monstress Volume 3
Authors:Marjorie Liu (Author)
Other authors:Sana Takeda (Artist)
Info:Liu, Marjorie (2018), 152 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:comics

Monstress, Volume 3: Haven by Marjorie M. Liu

The third collected volume of the dark fantasy/horror comic Monstress. I don't know how much there is to say about this one that I didn't already say about the first two. The artwork is still incredibly gorgeous, although it's still not always the easiest thing in the world to follow all the action. The world-building is still rich and complex. The story continues to get more interesting. And I continue to slightly regret not waiting until the whole thing is over to start reading it, as it's depressingly easy to lose track of everything that's going on between installments.

I will say that the more I read of this, the more impressed I am by the unexpected things it does. Like the way it completely reverses the traditional ratio of male to female characters for this kind of thing and feels no need to justify or even draw attention to this fact. Or the way the man-eating Lovecraftian monstrosity turns out to be a surprisingly complicated and interesting character.

Anyway. I'm still definitely enjoying this (even if I do sometimes feel as if I'm missing things in it), and I'm now really looking forward to volume 4. ( )
  bragan | Oct 18, 2018 |
This is the 3rd volume in the Monstress series. While this graphic novel series continues to have an amazing story and some spectacular world-building, what really sets it apart is the phenomenal illustration throughout.

In this volume Maika flees to Pontus to find safety for herself and her companions. Pontus needs help fixing their shield and when Maika accidentally destroys it she finds herself venturing deep into the depths of her monster’s mistress’s laboratory to find parts meant to fix it.

This series has gotten rather complicated and there are a ton of characters in here. It would have been very helpful to have a quick story synopsis and character guide at the beginning of the book. I struggled some to figure out who was who and get back into the story. Additionally, at points you would turn the page and suddenly be in a completely different place with completely different characters and this was a bit confusing.

However, I am still really enjoying the characters, the world-building, and the illustration. The illustration in here is breathtakingly beautiful. I also really enjoy watching Maika grow and change as a character and watching her interact with her fellow adventurers.

At some point I would like to sit down and read all the Monstress volumes back to back because the story is getting a bit complex and at times is hard to follow.

Overall this was a spectacular continuation of this steampunk fantasy series. I really love the world, the characters, and the illustration. I would recommend to those who enjoy dark fantasy graphic novels; just be prepared to spend some time unweaving the complexities of this story. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 6, 2018 |
this one feels urgent because this volume's arc plays out as one one unending fight between Maika Halfwolf and a very large cast of new opposing forces who are not that well differentiated, with the poet Professor Tam Tam handling most of the historical exposition. whereas it seemed to me the most interesting thing going on was the character development in the deep background of the original characters, particularly and remarkably that of the monster inside Maika. ( )
  macha | Oct 4, 2018 |
The art is a bit confusing in this one. In many scenes i had a lot of trouble distinguishing the bad ancients from the slightly-less-bad one that is in Maika. Beside that, still an awesome read. ( )
  kinwolf | Sep 23, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,632,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible