The Man Who Didn't Call by Lucy Robinson

The Man Who Didn't Call

by Rosie Walsh

"I absolutely loved this book and didn't want it to end" Liane Moriarty If you've ever found yourself waiting for a call that didn't come, Ghosted by Rosie Walsh is the book for you.Imagine you meet a man, spend seven glorious days together, and fall in love. And it's mutual: you've never been so certain of anything. So when he leaves for a long-booked holiday and promises to call from the airport, you have no cause to doubt him.But he doesn't call. Your friends tell you to forget him, but you know they're wrong: something must have happened; there must be a reason for his silence.What do you do when you finally discover you're right? That there is a reason - and that reason is the one thing you didn't share with each other?The truth.… (more)

English (38)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
3.5 stars.

Ghosted by Rosie Walsh is a contemporary novel with an intriguing premise which is socially relevant in today's world.

Sarah Mackey and Eddie David spend a blissful week together and make plans to reunite after he returns from vacation. However, Sarah is hurt and confused when her messages and phone calls to him go unanswered. Despite the short amount of time they were together, she is convinced Eddie is "The One" and she refuses trying to reconnect with him. Her good friend Jo tries to reason with her to give up her quest, but surprisingly her other bestie Tommy Stenham agrees with Sarah that the relationship is worth trying to save. Unfortunately, Sarah quickly crosses into obsession as she absolutely refuses to stop attempting to resume contact with him.

Sarah's seventeen year marriage has recently ended yet she is surprisingly unaffected by her divorce. A US transplant from Great Britain, her annual vacation is a bittersweet reunion with her parents. Not expecting to meet anyone, Sarah is absolutely charmed by Eddie and she is quite introspective after their relationship hits a wall. Her efforts to locate Eddie are cringe-worthy as is her compulsive checking for replies to her messages. It is a huge relief when Sarah finally realizes how completely ridiculous she has been behaving and hopefully her return home will put an end to her immature behavior.

With over half the book focusing on Sarah's unrequited love and fanatical attempts to communicate with Eddie, Ghosted is a slow-moving, rather tedious and unrealistic read. The second part of the novel is faster paced and finally fills in much needed details about Sarah's and Eddie's respective pasts. There are some intriguing twists and turns but after waiting so long for any type of progress, readers might not remain invested in what the future holds for the erstwhile couple. With a couple of very clever and unanticipated plot twists, Rosie Walsh brings the novel to a heartwarming conclusion.
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
I ended up liking this more than I thought I would. Especially in the beginning. The book started out and I felt like I was caught in a teen drama, only they were in their thirties. Then some kind of switch flipped, I'm not certain what it was or where it happened, and I was invested. I'm not sure who to recommend this to, though. Odd book. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
Enjoyable, I thought the first half was a bit protracted but enjoyed the ending ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Nice Twist! ( )
  kimpiddington | Dec 1, 2019 |
I had no idea what I was getting into when I started reading this. At first, it was okay so they had a fling for 7 days and he just stopped calling her. Halfway through the book it gets so much better. So many twists I didn't see coming. I was like what and what and WHAT?!?!?!?! It was definitely a page turner after that and I loved the ending especially with Eddie's mother. Just a great read. ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 27, 2019 |
UK title: The Man Who Didn't Call, US title: Ghosted

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,309,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible