Ghosted: A Novel by Rosie Walsh

Ghosted: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Rosie Walsh (Author)

"I absolutely loved this book and didn't want it to end" Liane Moriarty If you've ever found yourself waiting for a call that didn't come, Ghosted by Rosie Walsh is the book for you.Imagine you meet a man, spend seven glorious days together, and fall in love. And it's mutual: you've never been so certain of anything. So when he leaves for a long-booked holiday and promises to call from the airport, you have no cause to doubt him.But he doesn't call. Your friends tell you to forget him, but you know they're wrong: something must have happened; there must be a reason for his silence.What do you do when you finally discover you're right? That there is a reason - and that reason is the one thing you didn't share with each other?The truth.… (more)
Member:JTimmins
Title:Ghosted: A Novel
Authors:Rosie Walsh (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Tags:attach on titan 2

The Man Who Didn't Call by Rosie Walsh

Recently added byRennie80, burnerburner, Dal05713, Gina_Price, private library, Elizabeth.Petruy

English (49)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
I have got to stop reading books that promise a shocking twist because guess what? They are never that shocking and I am always disappointed.

There was entirely too much going on in this book. Taking out the main plot focusing on Sarah and Eddie, we have about three other sub-plots going on that add nothing to the story. NOTHING. Between that and the rambling about grass and sky and sheep, I was bored bored bored.

The twist was surprinsing but not unexpected. I didn't really feel anything about this book other than bored and annoyed at every single character. I am not recommending this one.

Final rating: 2 of 5 stars ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
I totally loved this book. There’s not just one particular reason that I can pinpoint, just an overall loving of it. The story was different than the normal story and the ending was absolutely surprising to me. I did not expect it to turn out the way it did, but I loved it. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
It's a page turner, but I found a couple of the transitions implausible. At the end I didn't even care how the story turned out, maybe because there had been so many plot twists. I actually put the book down about 50 pages from the end and went to sleep. I did finish it in the morning out of curiosity.

Unlike some, I found Sarah's obsession believable. I figured she was rebounding.

The twist where the story of Alex is revealed is one of the jarring transitions. I should think that would have been traumatic for the driver. And yet THAT trauma doesn't appear in this character's thoughts. It makes one of the twists surprising, yet I found it unrealistic.

The other twist after "I didn't hear a thing" and then we switch to Eddie was just... well... was that fair to us readers? My feeling is that plot twists should seem less contrived. ( )
  Linda_Louise | Jan 20, 2021 |
Couldn’t put this book down and read in one sitting! Sarah and Eddie have an instantaneous connection and enjoy 7 days of bliss....but then, Eddie never returns her calls, texts, or messages. I think anyone who has been in the dating pool since the advent of online matching can relate to being ghosted by someone. I was sucked in trying to find out, along with Sarah, why and for what Eason Eddie wouldn’t contact her. The truth was more shocking than I thought! This is one of those books that deserves a second read: the more information you get, the more previous chapters make sense.

*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher and am freely giving an honest review.* ( )
  JaxlynLeigh | Dec 28, 2020 |
3.5 As I started reading this all I could think was I'm glad I dated before the digital age. When mid-30s Sarah Mackey has a chance meeting in an English small town with Eddie David and they share a week of total bliss, she thinks she has found her soulmate. Newly separated from her husband of 17 years and business partner, Reuben, she had no expectations for another meaningful relationship. Then, lightning strike. Truly Eddie felt the same way. But upon his departure for a pre-planned holiday, she doesn't hear from him. Ghosted. He is not active on social media, won't reply to her texts, won't answer his phone. Did she totally misread the cues? She spends an angsty first half of the book obsessing over this and it is rather annoying after awhile. "I checked my phone, a reflex as common now as breathing." (95) But then some of her past history unfolds -- after lots of heavy-handed hints at a tragic occurrence and a younger sister, Hannah that she misses desperately. She quotes Virginia Woolf" "The world has raised its whip, where will it descend?" That starts to round out why she is feeling so bad about the disappeared Eddie. Then she gets some cryptic anonymous messages to stay away from him and he is not what she thinks. The second half of the book is more from Eddie's point of view and completes the partial picture we have at the outset in a most unexpected way. Similar to Liane Moriarty, there are some clever twists that change everything and cause the reader to re-think their character assessment. That elevated the book another half star for me. It's a quick read and entertaining - perfect for travel or a stay-home day. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
UK title: The Man Who Didn't Call, US title: Ghosted

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,486,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible