99 Percent Mine: A Novel by Sally Thorne

99 Percent Mine: A Novel

by Sally Thorne

1961394,850 (3.41)12
"From the author of USA Today-bestseller The Hating Game comes a poignant and witty romantic comedy about a twin battling her brother over their crumbling inheritance -- and his sexy best friend who is determined to knock down her walls"--

What a let down. If this has a plot I missed it. And maybe I let The Hating Game get my expectations set too high. I tried to give it a chance but had to bail well before the halfway point.

ETA: Decided to give this one another try because of the DNFs I've genuinely enjoyed after giving them a second chance - sad to say this isn't one of them. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 1, 2020 |
Darcy and her twin brother Jamie share Tom, their childhood friend. But Tom has always been more Jamie's friend than Darcy's. Darcy has traveled the world trying to escape her heart condition and her crush on Tom. But when their grandmother dies and leaves a cottage to be renovated and sold, Darcy and Tom are thrown back together. What I found most interesting about this novel was the exploration of relationships. Darcy and Jamie are heartlessly competitive - it is uncomfortable how competitive they are. And Tom has an odd relationship to their family - almost family, but not quite. As Darcy finds the courage to stop running from her problems and be a little softer all kinds of hard but good things start to happen. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 13, 2020 |
Okay, here's the skinny...
...I LOVED the pieces, but not the overall picture...
...now, let me explain.

Darcy Barrett was a force to be reckoned with, a take no prisoners, kick-a** ex (sorta) photographer and sometimes bartender that can certainly handle herself, but needs that one-on-one contact (friendly or otherwise) to fulfill her hunger. Sounds more sexual than it was meant, but then again...there was THAT angle too. Anywho...she's a strong female lead to be proud of, and while I'd like to wash her mouth/mind out with soap (sorry, but she's a bit too crass for my taste...and yes, I'd say the same if it was the male lead with the mouth), she definitely keeps things interesting.

Tom Valeska...perfect man specimen, if ever there was, that has the looks, the modesty, the balanced ambition, correct priorities...and if you think it's a "too good to be true" situation, it is, but only on the most minimum of levels. He's known Darcy and her twin brother (Jamie) since childhood, been the benefactor of their generosity (whether he wanted it or not) day in and day out, and been harboring feelings for one of them just...as...long. That's A LOT of tension to build up, and despite the fact that someone else made an appearance on his arm for some length of time, some flames can't be doused...only FED. He's a sweetheart that puts way too much pressure on himself, but memorable.

Here's the catch...they're both great, and their connection palpable, but the pieces set to connect them from point A to point B...I wasn't as sold on. For me, the drama of "should they, shouldn't they" was drawn out, I didn't quite buy the twin connection/fight nor did I particularly care for Jamie, and the grand finale wasn't as grand as I was hoping. I've been told (or rather saw online) that the final print includes an epilogue that the ARC does not...perhaps that solves my last "issue". In the end, while I wanted to be blown away, I was simply entertained. Grant it, that's not a bad thing, but it also left me wanting. Cie la vie...while it wasn't my all time favorite, it just may be yours, so do GO OUT AND GET IN THE PAGES of your own copy, just make sure you're adult age because yeah, there's words, and fantasies, and situations that are more than blush worthy.

**ARC received for review ( )
  GRgenius | Sep 15, 2019 |
A giant disappointment. I haven't sunk in to enough fluffy romance lately and needed an escape. I loved The Hating Game and was ready to be transported again, but no go. There was no sense of humor, joyless characters, no charm, the relationship impediments were entirely self-inflicted. Just no. It wasn't terrible, but it was never better than pedestrian. ( )
  Narshkite | May 3, 2019 |
I have seen the Hating Game around but this is the first time that I actually have tried a book by this author. I was wanting to read something that was a departure from by thrillers. Therefore, I picked up this book, not really sure what to expect. What I got was laughter, some romance, sass, and a new author that I want to read more books from.

Darcy is my hero. Don't let her short hair or name fool you. She can kick your butt with both her tongue and fists. I say her tongue because she has quick comebacks filled with sarcasm that makes even the most macho of men quiver in their boots. Yet, this does not apply to Tom. That is because just the presence of him has Darcy tongue tied.

Speaking of Tom. He has the patience of a saint. There were more than a couple of times that he could have lost his cool but he kept calm. I really liked the chemistry between Darcy and Tom. They were a good match. 99 Percent Mine is 100 Percent worth reading! ( )
  Cherylk | Apr 7, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,403,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible