Stars Uncharted by S. K. Dunstall

Stars Uncharted

by S. K. Dunstall

I really enjoyed this adventure space opera. I had read Dunstall's Linesman books and thought they were okay, but I loved the world-building and the characters in this one much more. Yes, there are no hidden depths, but there is a lot of pure entertainment in the adventure. Recommended! ( )
  ronincats | Feb 15, 2019 |
Nika Rik Terri, well-known body modder, runs into trouble when someone from a powerful company forces her to use her body exchanger, using her body to commit murder while she heals his body. She was planning to leave her abusive boyfriend anyway, but this just gives her a stronger reason to disappear. Meanwhile, Josune Arriola has left her ship for a special mission: stay close to captain Hammond Roystan. When her ship nullspaces right in front of them and they find the crew murdered by a company, the stakes suddenly get high. Can the crew outrun the company in a universe where the Big Twenty-Seven even have the police in their pockets?

I wanted to like this book more than I did, as it definitely has shades of Firefly in it and sets up what could be an interesting world - heck, universe - to explore. I almost wanted this to be a TV series rather than a book - I had trouble visualizing the different worlds/planets they visit, and what the spaceships or mod machines (the way you can change how you look on a whim) looked like and worked. The plot itself is a little light, too, as it's really just them being chased for the majority of the time, and you don't really know why. Or, well, I did kind of figure it out actually. Things were telegraphed early on and not very subtly. It has promise, though, and while the story is self-contained it left room for sequels. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 2, 2019 |
When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure if I was going to like it because the author throws you straight into this world and storyline with no backstory at all. You literally have to piece it together as you're reading. Once I understood who the Goberlings were and why they were all searching for his last location everything made more sense and kind of came together.

I enjoyed the body modding quite a bit and thought it was pretty inventive. All of the characters were really likeable too. Nika Rik Terri's obsession was a little over-the-top though but I felt like a lot of that dialogue was added as just filler.

It's not clear if there's going to be a sequel but the author definitely left room for one at the end. If there is, I wouldn't mind revisiting this world again.

*I received this ARC from First to Read in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

EmpressReece | Nov 8, 2018 |
To our mother, Della Dunstall. We've named the most precious element in the galaxy after you. You deserve it.

We miss you, Mum.

May your afterlife be filled with lots of love, travel, and adventure.
The first thing Nika noticed about the man who buzzed the studio bell was his scar.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,378,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible