Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
dismiss

A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover) by…

A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover) (edition 2018)

by Kelly Bowen (Author)

Member:seriesousbooks
Title:A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover)
Authors:Kelly Bowen (Author)
Info:Forever (2018), 336 pages
Tags:waiting-for

A Duke in the Night by Kelly Bowen

What I didn't like:

-too much political talk. meaning, all the conversation between the hero and heroine were about a women's place. it became too preachy and boring. this ended up not being a romance but a commentary on women's rights and empowerment. this also lead it to feel more like a contemporary novel rather than a historical romance.

-while the heroine was exerting her independence, it didn't make sense or feel right for her to be pining after the hero. there was no reason for her to fall for him. plus no chemistry.

-the plot point that really bugged me was when the heroine got sexually assaulted by a potential suitor. like why was that necessary? not only that, but the hero had to be the one who saved her and not herself. that did not make sense with the whole women's empowerment theme. the hero saved the heroine! not only that, but right afterwards these two decide to have sex. not only do they have sex right after she was assaulted, but right after they meet the hero's ex-lover and see and discuss a naked painting of her, they have sex. i listened to the audiobook, so the sex scenes were read to me and it wasn't fun. there were a lot of mechanical words used, no feelings.

what i did like:

i listened to the audio, so i think that really improved on the enjoyment of this. if i was to read this, i'd probably dnfed or skimmed it. the narrator was just okay. i felt like she had a fake English accent which wasn't too bothersome. she distinguished between dialogue and narration well. her voice for the hero was a bit cringy but not too much so. ( )
  leighannewrites | Jun 4, 2019 |
I read a Kelly Bowen novella in a collection and enjoyed it, so I decided to pick up another book by her and check it out.
August Faulkner and Clara Hayward danced together on a dare ten years ago and have never forgotten each other. When August, now a Duke and hard nosed businessman, sees an investment opportunity with Clara's family, he takes advantage to meet with her again. Meanwhile, Clara has been running an unusual school for wealthy young ladies which has just admitted August's sister for the summer term.
I enjoyed the writing and flow of the story. The book is somewhat anachronistic and feminist which is fine, but not something I enjoy in historicals. I didn't really understand the ten year gap in the relationship, but let it go though it bothered me for them to have such a strong instant connection when they met again. August confused me also; I liked him as a man, but I wish he had been just a businessman, not a Duke. It didn't fit with the backstory or his current behavior. Dukes have to marry and beget heirs, and Clara was eligible. The idea that a beautiful and wealthy woman wouldn't get asked to dance or have suitors despite her intelligence seemed odd, especially since August was so fascinated with her. I don't know, maybe I'm delving too far down in the weeds.
Overall, I did enjoy the story, mostly because of Ms. Bowen's writing style. I've already grabbed the next book in the series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Sep 27, 2018 |
A Duke in the Night is a historical romance that has a modern edge to it. The main protagonist, Clara Hayward, is by all appearances a straight and narrow headmistress. She runs the Haverhall School for Young Ladies, a school that she had inherited from her mother when she had passed away. Clara had always been on the outskirts of society because she was a very educated woman with a mind of her own. Not a quality that most wanted as a friend or lover but her strengths were desired for teaching young ladies how to behave in society.

What very few knew was that there was another side to Clara, a side that showed a sexually confident woman who knew what she wanted and asked permission from no one. Not very common in the setting she found herself in but I, of course, liked that very much about her. I liked that she was a well-rounded individual and that she was doing the best she could to give young ladies a view of the world outside what they themselves had been given permission to imagine. There was much to love with the female characters in this book.

In this story, Clara goes head to head with August Faulkner over his treatment and overprotectiveness of his sister. August was not a bad guy, he just had a rough start in life and things were equally hard for his sister. He worked so hard so that she could move on from her past but he had blinders on when it came to what his sister actually wanted for herself. When his sister signed up for a summer session with Clara’s company, August was none too pleased. Except that August saw his sister’s actions as an opportunity to bring his sister back to reality and hopefully get to discuss business with Clara’s bother. Too bad for August that nothing would work out the way he planned it to be.

Not only was A Duke in the Night both swoony and romantic but it also had endearing characters, times of suspense, and many humorous moments. I liked what developed between Clara and August, even though it was a bit on the “insta” side. Even though August has his ideas of how women should act, he is not boorish in his behavior, he also listens and considers what he is dealing with before reacting. I really enjoyed his character and found the pairing between him and Clara to be a nice mix. If you are interested in reading a historical romance with a modern twist to it, then I would recommend A Duke in the Night to you.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Forever. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jun 1, 2018 |
Probably my least favourite Kelly Bowen so far, although still enjoyable. I liked both Clara and August, but they spent too much of the novel dithering about what they wanted from each other, and August withheld his true business intentions from Clara in a way that felt dishonest. I spent the last quarter of the novel bitterly disappointed in him that he had not given her back her school. He came through at the end, but it was too late for me. ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 23, 2018 |

Kelly Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
McNab, AshfordReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When disreputable duke and businessman August Faulkner comes back into her life, headmistress Clara Hayward is tempted to pick up where they left off ten years ago, despite worrying that he aims to take over her family's business.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,097,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible