dismiss

The Governess Game (2018)

by Tessa Dare

Series: Girl Meets Duke (2)

2722069,664 (3.82)17
New York Times and USA Today Bestseller He's been a bad, bad rake--and it takes a governess to teach him a lesson The accidental governess After her livelihood slips through her fingers, Alexandra Mountbatten takes on an impossible post: transforming a pair of wild orphans into proper young ladies. However, the girls don't need discipline. They need a loving home. Try telling that to their guardian, Chase Reynaud: duke's heir in the streets and devil in the sheets. The ladies of London have tried--and failed--to make him settle down. Somehow, Alexandra must reach his heart . . . without risking her own. The infamous rake Like any self-respecting libertine, Chase lives by one rule: no attachments. When a stubborn little governess tries to reform him, he decides to give her an education--in pleasure. That should prove he can't be tamed. But Alexandra is more than he bargained for: clever, perceptive, passionate. She refuses to see him as a lost cause. Soon the walls around Chase's heart are crumbling . . . and he's in danger of falling, hard.… (more)

Reread 5/14/20
I didn't anticipate reading this again. It's 3 stars, and my "rule" is a book doesn't get three stars if I want to reread it.

But sometimes you need medicine. And maybe I wouldn't put this on a brand name, premium shelf but if I need some naproxen, I'll certainly settle for acetaminophen if it's what I have.

I think what I'm saying is Tessa Dare is my medicine right now

And also, I still love this cast. I felt like Chase taking Millicent's funerals seriously were exactly what I needed.

Original Review:

This was a sweet, light-hearted read. The hero lacked depth, I think, but i didn’t care, I was still kinda swoony from his first eulogy. (I love when people take kids seriously. I don’t mean humor them, I mean live in their reality). Alex was a spark. The romance was cute, but I kind of liked this for the ensemble most of all...quite a few laughs... ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Maybe my perception of historical romance is very skewed at the moment (thanks to Once Upon a Christmas Wedding) but I enjoyed this so much!

The premise was fun, the children made me laugh every single time with their dollicide (and I'm often annoyed at children in books!), and I liked the romance a lot. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
The Governess Game by Tessa Dare

Laugh out loud historical romance. The heroine was a professional clock setter forced to take a governess job at the loss of her chronometer. She has no idea how to teach or motivate her charges until she goes with an unusual slant that connects with the children. And of course, the attraction she feels for their ward is powerful and cannot be ignored.

I loved the unusual meet-cute, the heroine profession and class as well as how those each are addressed. And humor is always my preference in this crazy world.
Historical is not my typical romance genre but I will absolutely look for more of this author in hopes that the stereotypical are overridden.
Loved this.

Girl Meets Duke series book 2.

I listened to the audio version from Libra.fm narrated by Mary Jane Wells who contributed a most pleasing accent and voice to the content. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Apr 18, 2020 |
Tessa Dare does an amazingly fun job of writing this story. All the characters are on the quircky side - whether it's a Ducal Heir who is building his own Man Cave where he can pleasure women. or the governess who came to apply for a job as a clock adjuster. Chase's 2 wards are in a category of their own. Seven year old Daisy has a doll who dies of a different disease every morning and must be laid to rest after a proper funeral. Her sister Rosamund hides in books while stealing money to make a quick get away.
Four dysfunctional people living together make for funny circumstances and you will smile and laugh all the way to the Happily Ever After. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Quite enjoyable. The end went on for a bit, but at the same time I wasn't eager for the book to end anyway, so that's okay. ( )
  Musscle | Jan 21, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For my children, the Darelings, because apparently I have a trend with this series - dedicating books to people I hope will never read them. My daughter served as a brilliant consultant on Rosamund and Daisy's characters, and my ever-clever son taught me that some kids learn best in unconventional ways. Darelings, I love you both. I promise that out of all my books, this is the one and only page I'll ever force you to read.

(Bonus: I've now embarrassed you in front of thousands of strangers. Mom achievement unlocked!)
Alexandra Mountbatten had common sense

He’s been a bad, bad rake—and it takes a governess to teach him a lesson

The accidental governess.

After her livelihood slips through her fingers, Alexandra Mountbatten takes on an impossible post: transforming a pair of wild orphans into proper young ladies. However, the girls don’t need discipline. They need a loving home. Try telling that to their guardian, Chase Reynaud: duke’s heir in the streets and devil in the sheets. The ladies of London have tried—and failed—to make him settle down. Somehow, Alexandra must reach his heart... without risking her own.

The infamous rake.

Like any self-respecting libertine, Chase lives by one rule: no attachments. When a stubborn little governess tries to reform him, he decides to give her an education—in pleasure. That should prove he can’t be tamed. But Alexandra is more than he bargained for: clever, perceptive, passionate. She refuses to see him as a lost cause. Soon the walls around Chase’s heart are crumbling... and he’s in danger of falling, hard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,919,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible