dismiss

"I love this world...this is Gena Showalter at her best!"--J.R. Ward, #1 New York Times bestselling author "The Gods of War series is my new obsession."--Christine Feehan, #1 New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter, the New York Times bestselling author who brought you the Lords of the Underworld, introduces a scorching new paranormal romance series...Gods of War Knox of Iviland, the most ruthless warrior in All War history, has spent his life fighting others to the death, winning new realms for his king. Now the stakes are higher than ever. If he prevails in the battle for Earth, his slave bands will be removed. Victory is his sole focus...until he meets her. On an arctic getaway with her foster sister, street tough but vulnerable Vale London is shocked to stumble upon a cave filled with ancient gods waging epic combat. When she is inadvertently drawn into their war, she is forced to team up with an unlikely ally--the sexy god who makes her burn with desire. Though Vale is his enemy, Knox is consumed with lust and a fierce need to protect her. But only one combatant can triumph, and he will have to choose: live for freedom, or die for love.… (more)

pb
  5083mitzi | Jul 22, 2020 |

3.5 Stars.
This is the start of an imaginative new series by this author and though this wasn't my favourite of her books I have read to date I still enjoyed myself and this was an intriguing start that has stacked the deck nicely for future story progression.
So this is the 103 rd All-War, This is a process that is enacted many times on many worlds whenever a new realm is discovered.
To stop the pillaging and fighting over resources worlds get to send a single combatant to fight for there sovereign for ownership of the new world.
Gladiator style fight to the death with an entire planet as the battleground, last man standing wins all or at least the ruler of his world does.
He is Knox of Iviland a stone-cold combatant who controls the shadows and will stop at nothing to win.
Already an All-War four-time winner he now after the death of his daughter else has nothing to lose.
His end game? win the war, gain his freedom and then annihilate his king.
One who he is compelled to obey because of the slave bands on his body and he will allow nothing to stand in his way, not even the lovely Vale London.
As a new player Eric, the Viking unwittingly joins the melee and Knox and his fellow warriors find themselves imprisoned and encased in ice for over a millennium.
Upon his eventual liberation from an icy prison and sensing that this strange female is an integral part of his future survival Knox absconds with her taking her to his hidden bunker.
So character-wise Knox is very rough and ready and a bit of a brute understandable considering his violent background.
He is literally a weapon of war and he doesn't tolerate any weakness.
Vale herself is such a liability and where usually he would annihilate he finds himself going against his very own nature and protecting her.
Vale is his perfect foil an orphan who has grown up in the system she is all hard edges and prickly attitude.
She has been metaphorically kicked back down so many times she refuses to show her weaknesses hiding behind a gruff and snarky persona to protect her soft underbelly.
These two had instant chemistry though Knox initially did fight it somewhat.
Enemies but also reluctant allies while they both are of use to the other.
So, This did get a tad cheesy at times and the language used could be somewhat juvenile but this was essentially at heart a fun read.
Fast-paced and jumping headfirst into the action this was such a unique and imaginative concept.
and I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.
One final observation because there were so many players here it sometimes did get a trifle confusing and I did get lost in regard to some of the fight scenes other than that this was all grand an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |

3.5 Stars.
His end game? win the war, gain his freedom and then annihilate his king.
He is literally a weapon of war and he doesn't tolerate any weakness.
These two had instant chemistry though Knox initially did fight it somewhat.
Enemies but also reluctant allies while they both are of use to the other.
and I will definitely be reading the next book in this series.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
Book #1: Gods of War Series
Source: NetGalley
My Rating: 3/5 stars

**MINI-REVIEW**

The Bottom Line: In truth, my interest in this read faded in and out the further into the book I read. For me, it started out like a house of fire and I was all kinds of invested, but as I hit the middle part of the book, my interest started waning. I think my interest waned because of Vale and Knox’s attitudes. I need my characters to evolve and neither did much of that through the middle part of the book. In fact, they mostly remained stagnant and that caused me to skim a great deal of the middle part of the book. As the end of the book approached and Vale and Knox finally began evolving, my interest was once again engaged, and I rolled on through to the very end. While this may sound like I mostly disliked this book, that would be incorrect. While Knox and Vale didn’t particularly appeal to me, the information about the other characters did. There is such a wide variety of strange, lethal, interesting, and completely foreign characters in this book, all with skills, talents, and weapons that are quite literally, beyond this world. At the end of the day, I think Shadow and Ice may have suffered from the dreaded first book syndrome in which the groundwork and world building didn’t quite do enough to really draw me in. What saved the book for me is the HUGE cast on interesting characters who populate this world and are going to entertain me for many, many installments to come. ( )
  arthistorychick | Nov 29, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,075,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible