dismiss

The Three Beths

by Jeff Abbott

From New York Times bestselling writer Jeff Abbott, a psychologically intense and emotionally gripping new suspense novel about a daughter's desperate search for her missing mother--one that may lead her closer to home than she ever anticipated. My mom would never leave me. This has been Mariah Dunning's motto. Her compass. Her belief. So when she glimpses her mother--who's been missing for the past year--on the other side of a crowded food court, Mariah's conviction becomes stronger than ever. Or is she losing her mind? An unlikely coincidence? When Beth Dunning disappeared without a trace, suspicion for her murder-despite the lack of a body or any physical evidence-immediately fell upon Mariah's father. Until Mariah stumbles upon two other recent disappearances from Lakehaven. And all three women had the same name: Beth. Or a sinister connection? Mariah would give anything to find out what happened to her mother, and clear her father's name. But the truth may be more devastating than she could have imagined..."--… (more)

I wanted to like this thriller mystery in which the daughter of a woman named Beth who disappeared a year ago discovers that her mother is not the only Beth in Austin to have disappeared mysteriously recently. But the writing was so inconsistent. Set in Texas, the main character inexplicably refers to the trunk of her car as the boot (and later proclaims herself an Austin native so it becomes even weirder). The author goes great distances to refer to ride sharing apps obliquely and then suddenly namedrops Uber (this in a book that's opted for "Faceplace" as an obvious sub for Facebook). And then came this bit of text:

"It had once been the happiest of homes, now it was a prison. She wanted out. The house was always dark, even with the lights on. Haunted, not by a ghost who trod on the stairs or watched the living. The truth would be a light. She had this one connection, and maybe it was enough. She would only know if she tried."

And shortly afterwards I decided that all of these stylistic choices were grating on my nerves enough I don't care to find out what happened or whodunnit. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 19, 2019 |
I thought that this was really good. I decided to pick this one up because I was in the mood for a good mystery and I have been wanting to read Jeff Abbott's writing. Once I started reading this book, I was hooked. I wanted to know what had happened to these three Beths and I wanted to see their families find the answers they needed. This was a mystery that turned out to be quite the page-turner.

Mariah's mother has been gone a long time. Nobody has seen her and her body has not been found but Mariah knows that her mother would have never just left and despite with the community thinks, Mariah knows that her father couldn't have killed her. After Mariah sees who she thinks is her mother at the mall, she starts to do whatever she can to try to find out what actually happened. When she learns that another Beth went missing around the same time as her mother, she finds herself unraveling a mystery that is much larger than she could have expected.

I liked the characters in this book. Mariah and her father have both been through so much since her mother disappeared. The town is convinced that Mariah's father is responsible for Beth's disappearance so they are dealing with the unknown, their grief, and harassment from the community. I completely understood why Mariah felt the need to try to solve this mystery on her own because the police only seemed to be interested in looking at her father. I will say that some of the things that Mariah does during her quest to find out what happened to her mother made me cringe just a bit.

I thought that the mystery in this story was very well done. There were plenty of twists and turns that kept things interesting. The mystery was very complex with a lot of elements that started to fit together piece by piece as the book progressed. There were a few developments that I was able to predict but there were many surprises along the way. I was kind of surprised that the bulk of the story seemed to be focused on the second Beth but eventually everything came together.

I would recommend this book to others. I found the book to be a well-plotted and complex mystery filled with plenty of twists and turns to keep the pages turning. I hope to read more from Jeff Abbott soon!

I received a review copy of this book from Grand Central Publishing. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 22, 2018 |
The promotions for this book predicted that this book would be a real thriller, so I took a chance. Big mistake. I was bored out of my mind with it. It is a convoluted tale of accidents, murder and revenge involving three women with the name of Beth. The action drags, the ties between the parties is stretched and overall I wish I had never bothered with this book. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Nov 24, 2018 |
The Three Beths is Jeff Abbott's newest book.

Mariah Dunning's mother disappeared a year ago. Law enforcement is sure that her father has killed her, but has yet to prove it. One day while at the mall, Mariah is sure she sees her mother at the food court - and she redoubles her efforts to find her. And her search turns up another woman named Beth who has also disappeared. And going by the title, you know there's another.

The Three Beths is a busy book with many twists and turns throughout. Now, I appreciate a complicated plot, but I have to say that I found this busyness somewhat off putting as the book progressed. It was too much - too many coincidences, easily explained (but not always believable) turns and somewhat repetitive scenes and dialogue. (I started keeping track of how many times someone said they were going to 'call the police'. Many times) But, I kept reading 'til the end as I wanted to know if the Beths were alive and if there was a connection between them. The (implausible) ending twist? Had that pegged long before the reveal. I found I couldn't get on board with Mariah. I found her annoying, rather than engaging. The other characters were overdrawn caricatures - especially the police chief.

I had higher hopes for The Three Beths, but it was a bit of a miss for me. ( )
1 vote Twink | Nov 19, 2018 |
For Lindsey Rose, with gratitude and respect.
Mariah Dunning saw her missing mother standing on the other side of the crowd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,246,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible