After Nightfall by A. J. Banner

After Nightfall (edition 2018)

by A. J. Banner (Author)

Member:susan0316
Title:After Nightfall
Authors:A. J. Banner (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2018), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages

After Nightfall by A. J. Banner

After Nightfall from A.J. Banner is a bit of a slow-burn psychological suspense novel. If you're looking for a thriller rather than a suspense novel you might want to save this one for when you feel like the methodical pace of a psychological suspense story rather than the quick forward momentum of most thrillers.

Like any story that includes a mystery the number of possible suspects is both high and very well established. Well into the book you will be able to make a plausible case for almost every person. Which means, of course, that at at least one point you were right. Just don't confuse that with "knowing" who did it early in the book, no one will believe you.

The novel moves in jumps to a certain extent. It seems like we are simply learning more information that keeps the list of suspects long then something happens that makes one of them stand out. Then we learn more and the other suspects begin to look possible again then something new happens to throw suspicion in yet another direction. For some, the periods of learning information, the part where the psychological part of the psychological suspense is established and amped up, feels slow. It isn't slow but if you don't care to learn about the characters then you probably should steer clear of psychological novels, whether suspense or thriller, since the psychological part requires background and attention to minutiae. That is how the state of mind of a character is established and played with.

I don't have the same problem with the end as some people. The mystery was solved. I tend to like not having every single other issue fully and completely resolved as long as the main mystery is taken care of. Throwing doubt into other aspects of the story, and especially what will happen after the book ends, allows the reader to exercise some creative control. If you don't want to use your creativity and just want everything wrapped up with a bow, well, the ending might bother you. But the rest of the book is, I think, good enough to still make it worth reading for you.

I think I covered who might enjoy, or not enjoy, the book in the previous paragraphs. I was actually torn between 4 and 5 stars but opted to round up because so many of the negative ratings seemed to be upset for the book not being what it never set out to be. When people resort to such hyperbole, especially when it is in many of their "reviews" or they only read a few pages but feel knowledgeable enough to rate and review the entire book, they can easily be discounted. Like any book this won't please everyone, but ignore the overblown hyperbole, both positive and negative, and pay attention to the ones that actually seemed to engage with the book.

Reviewed from a copy made available through Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  pomo58 | Oct 25, 2018 |
Marissa finds her best friend dead on the beach. Was she killed? What happened? The premise drew me in, but the book itself left something to be desired. There was a lot going on and the connections didn’t quite fit. The end of the book...just kind of stopped with no wrap up of events. It was interesting enough for me to wonder what would happen, but the way everything unfolded did not keep me in suspense or make me want to read more ( )
  kstadt929 | Oct 22, 2018 |
This is a fantastically well written suspense novel that had me guessing until the last chapter. There were clues and false clues all through the books and I knew who the bad guy was several times and then found out a few pages later that I was totally wrong.

At Marissa's engagement party, her best friend flirts shamelessly with her new fiance. Was it the wine or did Lauren need to be loved and admired by everyone around her? Lauren leaves the party after telling Marissa that she need to talk to her about her fiance. The next morning when Marissa is on an early walk, she finds Lauren's body at the bottom of a cliff. Was it an accident or was she pushed by Marissa's fiance? Lauren's husband? Lauren's daughter? or someone unknown. Marissa is determined to solve the crime even if it puts her in danger.

I was surprised at the end but after I went through the clues that had been given, it made perfect sense. Sometimes in suspense books, the 'bad guy' doesn't make any sense but in this case, it all came together perfectly.

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Loved the book!! Throughout the story I didn't know who to believe and I kept changing my mind on who killed Lauren. I didn't want to stop reading because I needed to know who was behind it all and why. I never guessed the ending and was taken by surprise. A good surprise because I was shocked at who was the killer.

Marissa and Nathan are throwing an engagement party for a few close friends and family. No one seemed to really enjoy themselves at the dinner. Nathan's daughter was upset. Hedra, Nathan's sister-in-law, was also upset and became flustered when questioned about a bruise on her wrist. Then there was Lauren. She continuously flirted with Nathan and left early with the excuse of picking up her daughter. Lauren was once Marissa's best friend and they have recently become reacquainted. Before Lauren leaves she tells Marissa she needs to tell her something important. Marissa never gets to find out what Lauren was going to tell her. Early the next morning, Marissa finds Lauren dead on the beach, below a steep cliff. She immediately suspects murder and starts investigating on her own. Marissa keeps finding clues and always seems to be there to call 911 when someone is injured. The detective starts to suspect Marissa is involved in Lauren's death.

Loved the story, writing style and characters. Marissa was my favorite by far, most of the others I would never want as friends. I'm not sure how Marissa could be friends with Lauren and Jensen again, especially with what happened in college. Lauren seemed like an awful friend. I wanted to feel bad for Hedra, but I just couldn't. The book was definitely full of twists and turns. It was a great mystery.

I definitely recommend the book and can't wait to read more from the author.

Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and the author, A.J. Banner, for a free electronic ARC of this novel. ( )
  JenniferLynn | Aug 3, 2018 |
This book grabbed me right from the beginning and never let go. I formed my alliances, reformed my alliances numerous times, guessed and surmised and knew I was right and felt I was wrong.....and etc. Wow! Loved it. A great murder mystery for sure. Everyone is suspect. At some points I started to think maybe I did it.

In all seriousness, this is a mystery not to be missed. It has it all and kept me reading until the very end for sure. Loved or hated the characters, formed attachments, just an enjoyable read.

This book is great for anyone who ever had a friend or was betrayed by a friend. It's also great for anyone who ever fell in love. Alright, this book is great for everyone! Read it! You'll love it!

This book was provided to me by NetGalley and the publisher. ( )
  Bonnie.Franks | Jul 30, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,895,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible