Mommy's Khimar (2018)

by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow

Other authors: Ebony Glenn (Illustrator)

A young Muslim girl puts on a head scarf and not only feels closer to her mother, she also imagines herself as a queen, the sun, a superhero, and more.

The colors in this story are so beautiful and vibrant. Love! ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
4.5 stars

4.0 stars for the text--a very very sweet celebration of the khimar--and 5.0 stars for the absolutely gorgeous illustrations. The pictures are so bright and warm and colorful, I absolutely fell in love with Ebony Glenn's style. I can't wait to see what she does next. ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
Top 100 Pick because:

From Salaam Reads, is a beautiful story of a girl describing something normal to her. Her mother's khimar is fascinating to her, not something to be self-conscious of or thought of as unusual. The illustrations are eye-catching, with bold and rich blues, yellows, and pastels that lighten the story with a freshness and joy. It portrays a little Muslim girl, and her African-American Muslim family, as one to be celebrated and representing a community that is rarely, if ever, shown (or at least portrayed in a positive and dynamic light). It exudes joy, love, and life.
I did not previously know many Muslim women call headscarves 'Khimar's' while westerners might know them only as Hijabs.
Books that make me learn, especially when I don't think about it, are the best. I love the depiction of how she sees her mother. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jun 16, 2019 |
A story about a young Muslim girl that puts on her headscarf and feels closer to her mother.

3-6
Lakewood Library
  Tbames | Jun 11, 2019 |
A little girl imagines all the ways she can be inspired by her Mother's own Khimar, which commonly interchangeable with a hijab, only the khimar is more often associated with African American Muslims.

I loved watching the daughter shapeshift - falling into many different roles all underneath the veil of many colors found in her own Mother's khimar. ( )
  NDeBlieux | May 3, 2019 |

Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glenn, EbonyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A khimar is a flowing scarf that my mommy wears.

A young Muslim girl spends a busy day wrapped up in her mother’s colorful headscarf in this fanciful picture book from debut author and illustrator Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow and Ebony Glenn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,718,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible