The Pint of No Return

by Ellie Alexander

Series: Sloan Krause (2)

556417,696 (4)8
No other festival compares to Oktoberfest in Leavenworth, Washington. The whole town is buzzing with excitement over this year's activities and eagerly awaiting Nitro's latest offering Cherrywizen, made with locally sourced cherries. But local brewmaster Sloan Krause is tapped out. Between trying to manage the pub, her pending divorce with Mac, and her mounting feelings for Garrett, she's fermenting in internal turmoil. To complicate matters, dreamy movie star Mitchell Morgan and his production crew have arrived in the village to film during the authentic Bavarian brewfest. Mitchell has his eye on Sloan and a taste for Nitro's Cherrywizen. Sloan escapes his advances for good when she finds Mitchell slumped over the bar. Is this a case of one pint too many, or has Mitchell been murdered by microbrew?… (more)

The Pint of No Return is the next installment of the Sloan Krause Beervaria Mystery Series. I loved every single aspect of this book. From learning about the brewing process, to understanding more about Sloan's childhood, and falling in love with the different characters within the story.

Ellie has an uncanny ability to teach her readers about what her protagonist is passionate about This brings a hint of realism and probability to what she writes. Having a Cozy Mystery or a Mystery in general be believable is the first step in getting the readers to fall into the world and be open to the murder and the 'whodunit' aspects of the storyline.

In this book Sloan is still trying to figure out her feelings for her soon-to=be ex-husband, her new boss, and what she wants to do with her life after the divorce happens. This however has to be put on hold as Oktoberfest has now come around and this is the biggest and more important time for the town.

An added pressure is the fact that there is a film crew who are there to make a documentary about the brewing process, how the brewers interact with each other, and everything in the World of Beer. Of course with most documentaries you have to have a a host. And a host they have. An old child star here to revamp their stardom. He is a pompous jerk who everyone seems to hate.

After being as to leave Nitro from drinking too much Sloan finds him dead in an alley way. Hoping that it wasn't alcohol poisoning from their bar Sloan calls the police to get to the crime scene. Sloan is asked my the chief of police to keep an eye our since they are shorthanded due to the Oktoberfest going on.

Sloan wants to make sure that Nitro doesn't get a bad name and she makes it her duty to figure out what is going on with the film crew, who doesn't seem too distraught about their star's death, her estranged husband, and keeping everything together when she learns about her past.

This is a wonderful addition to the Sloan Krause Beervaria series and I highly recommend it if you love Cozy Mysteries! ( )
  Courtagonist | Aug 15, 2022 |
This was the next book in the Sloane Krause mystery series. As soon as I finished Death on Tap, I had to get this one and luckily it wasn't too expensive on Apple Books. This book is just as informative as the previous books when discussing Leavenworth and the microbrewery scene.

Sloane has become kind of an amateur detective in this one, providing support to the one officer in her town. I especially like how the one officer is female, and they work together throughout this book. Her boss is still super hot and her (ex?)husband is still kind of an irresponsible human. There's definitely a love triangle there but it's tolerable. Sloane is growing more independent and getting even more responsibility as she left her past life from her ex-husband and his family's business, but she's still very much an integral part of the family. The one docked star is definitely all of the coincidences and conveniences that Sloane comes across to solve the mystery, and it feels odd for the sheriff/ officer to place all of her hope in solving the murder on one citizen.

The ending of this book was interesting. The culprit isn't who you think it would be, and the method was alluded to but very interestingly used in the end. I don't want to spoil anything but it's a little bit traumatizing, depending on if you've ever experienced anything like it. I am happy that Sloane was able to pull through in the end because I was actually freaking out.

We also get a small glimpse into Sloane's past and family. This part is what really intrigues me the most - exploring fostering and adoption. Of course, erasing records for a child is a bit questionable, but it's all part of the plot for what's coming next.

I definitely recommend this series as a light, fun read and exploration into brewery! ( )
  ErikaDeeReads | Jul 6, 2020 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher, which I was so excited about, because this is one of my favorite cozy mystery series. I love the setting, I love the characters, I love the friendships (and possible romance), and the mysteries are always good ones. Sloan is such a strong female character in a profession that is considered a man's job, and she is also full of personal history and complications. She is a character I absolutely adore, and I can't wait to read more of her solving mysteries. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Jan 29, 2019 |
Leavenworth, WA is holding is annual Oktoberfest celebration and since the town is a "recreation" of a Bavarian village, a movie crew has also moved in to film a documentary about the beer making process. A former child star is slated to be the fil;m host, but he is found murdered before the celebrations begin. Considering that the victim managed to make several enemies in a short of time, there was more than a few suspects. Sloan Krause needed first to make sure the death wasn't related to the microbrew from their establishment that the victim had been drinking and once done set out to make sure the murderer wasn't any of her family or friends.

This a nice change from the "wine" cozies with beer being the center ingredient. The characters are great and the writing is crisp. ( )
  cyderry | Nov 5, 2018 |
The Pint of No Return by Ellie Alexander is the second book in A Sloan Krause Mystery series. The town of Leavenworth, Washington is busy preparing for Oktoberfest. It is a three week long event that has tourists flocking to their Bavarian looking town. Nitro owner, Garrett Strong with Sloan Krause have been working on a new brew titled Cherry Weizen which will be unveiled that night. April Ablin approaches Sloan regarding her attire. A documentary film crew is in town to film Wish You Were Beer and she would prefer Sloane to dress in costume (not going to happen). The crew shows up at Nitro that evening to try out their new brew and, hopefully, get some good footage. Their host, Mitchell Morgan leaves a lot to be desired with his arrogant attitude and large ego (I’m surprised his hat fits). Sloan is heading home at the end of the night and hears a woman screaming. Mitchell Morgan is dead in the town square with a growler from Nitro broken around him. Lisa Balmes is accused of murdering Mitchell by his biggest fan, Kat Kelly. Sloane knows Lisa did not kill Mitchell and starts nosing around the crew for suspects. Sloan must also deal with her estranged husband, her search for her biological mother and Mitchell’s biggest fan, Kat. Join in on the Oktoberfest fun in The Pint of No Return.

The Pint of No Return is an engaging cozy mystery. While it is the second book in this series, it can be read alone (easily). I thought it was well-written with a nice steady clip. Ms. Alexander’s conversational writing style makes The Pint of No Return easy to read and enjoy. I like Sloan, Garrett, Hans Krause, Alex Krause as well as Otto and Ursula Krause (such a sweet couple). April Ablin, while not a character I like, does provides comic relief. I am amazed that Sloan married someone like Mac. I fail to see his appeal (the cheating louse). It was nice to find out more about Sloane and her relationship with the Krause family. I appreciate the author’s descriptive writing style which makes the book come alive for me. I can picture Leavenworth with the Bavarian style buildings and people walking around in costumes with beer steins in their hands. There are two mysteries in the book. The murder of Mitchell and Sloan’s search for her biological mother. I thought Mitchell’s murder was straightforward with a simple solution. Unfortunately, I identified the killer before Mitchell went belly up. Sloane’s quest to find her birth mother is the more intriguing mystery. It looks like it will play out over the course of the series with new information revealed in each book. I wish the murder had been more of a focus in this book. The story concentrates on the characters (mainly Sloan) and the town. While I appreciate getting to know the characters, I do read a cozy mystery for the mystery. It was interesting to learn more about the brewing process. I did not realize there were so many types of beers. I am baffled by the food that they serve in Nitro. I do not understand why they do not hire a chef and offer real food instead of meat and cheese trays (it seems odd). They could at least offer tapas. Overall, The Pint of No Return is a pleasure to read. I thought it was an improvement over Death on Tap. My rating for The Pint of No Return is 4 out of 5 stars. If you are looking to capture the feeling of Oktoberfest, visit Leavenworth in The Pint of No Return. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 11, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

A toast to my editor, Hannah, for her insightful eyes and love of craft beer!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,860,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible