The Drunk Detective (Dotty Davis Comedy…

The Drunk Detective (Dotty Davis Comedy Suspense)

by Mary Jean Curry

1361,027,599 (2.5)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dotty Davis is not the average detective. She's boozing, constantly cursing, is demoted to a file processing function before getting laid off. Dotty finds herself attempting to stay out of reach of police officers, church officials, and neighbors each suspecting her to be heavily involved in a series of brutal killings. Step by step the reader is drawn into this catfight, where truth and lies often collide, and at any time you would expect the detective being unmasked as the killer instead of helping to catch the real one.

Quite a funny plot, so very much at odds with regular whodunnit fiction. How she ends up in the news as the local PI that uncovers the murderous plot, is up to you to discover. ( )
  hjvanderklis | Sep 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This just isn't my style of mystery. I didn't like any of the characters and the plot wasn't that interesting to me. Dotty, the drunk detective, was not a realistic character. You can't drink like that and then be able to function like that. Such a crass character. And the plot was rambling and really didn't make a lot of sense. I won't be reading any more of this series. ( )
  kayanelson | Aug 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dotty Davis, a snappy, ageing private detective heavenly attracted to every form of booze, gets involved in a highly intricate affair: A dead nun in her neighbour's bed - the workplace of a male prostitute - has to be removed. Quickly. It's the start of a rat race against the evil powers of Philadelphia and beyond.

The author uses a lot of trenchant phrases ('She was carrying a handbag the size of Canada.' or 'You're a walking speakeasy.'), some good fun and a fast plot. No place in world literature, but three stars for sure. ( )
  viennamax | Aug 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a strange book to read. The mobi download that I had just refused to work with my Kindle, so that everytime I returned to it I had to click open from the email and search for where I was. This didn't help the reading experience. The book is very fast paced with a very specific style of writing. There's bad language and to be honest I didn't like the main character. She was just far too flawed for my liking. It's billed as comedy, but I didn't get any and I think it's too niche to appeal to crime readers such as myself. I finished it, but won't be rushing to read any more in the series. ( )
  JaneDickerson | Aug 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book two days ago from Prodigy Gold Books and Library Thing. It’s a short book about Dotty Davis, a Private Dick. That’s what she tells everyone she is. She lives above a massage parlor and has a neighbor who is a male prostitute. He calls her to help him remove a dead nun from his apartment. Really! There are some off color jokes and some bad language. Some parts are funny and some are just silly. This is not a cozy mystery! It goes fast and the actual murder mystery of a few others goes well. There is a satisfying ending. ( )
  Darlenetj | Aug 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mary Jean Curry's book The Drunk Detective is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,768,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible