Dark Sacred Night (Bosch and Ballard) by…

Dark Sacred Night (Bosch and Ballard) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Michael Connelly (Author), Christine Lakin (Narrator), Titus Welliver (Narrator)

Member:wdwilson3
Title:Dark Sacred Night (Bosch and Ballard)
Authors:Michael Connelly (Author)
Other authors:Christine Lakin (Narrator), Titus Welliver (Narrator)
Info:Hachette Audio (2018), Edition: Abridged
Collections:Borrowed from Library
Rating:***
Tags:audiobook, mystery, 2019 read

Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly (2018)

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". If you have seen the movie Casablanca, then you know this classic line. And, it's such a perfect way to describe the paring of Renée Ballard and Harry Bosch.

DARK SACRED NIGHT is the second Ballard book and the 29th Bosch. And, I was thrilled to get a copy of the book. Bosch was mentioned in The Late Show, the first Ballard book, but I never thought that we would get a crossover so early. I thought perhaps a cameo or something in the two series, or just mentions. However, to my surprise, a dream come true!

Ballard first encounter with Bosch is hardly a friendly one. He's looking through files he has no right to go through and Ballard almost read him his rights, but then she gets curious. Well, after he's gone and she notices what he was looking for. She can't help herself, and soon she teams up with Bosch to work a cold case. And, as they work together, the more of a team they become.

DARK SACRED NIGHT is a great book. I'm a big fan of cold cases and I love the teaming of Ballard of Bosch. The older cop and the younger one that both can learn from each other, not to mention saving each other's lives. The ending gave hope that there will be more crossovers and I can't wait to find out what B&B will do next!

I want to thank Orion for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Connelly on good Bosch form. Fast-moving, page-turning prose, interesting well-drawn characters and a strong plot-line. Still not sure how he solves two crimes simultaneously though! ( )
  malcrf | May 4, 2019 |
Very detailed regarding the police procedural aspect. A little too much for me. TMI and not enough suspense. Probably good for someone aspiring to be a detective - especially in LA. ( )
  librarygeek33 | May 3, 2019 |
When I reviewed The Late Show I referred to it as a stand-alone. Well, stand alone no more. Renee Ballard teamed up with Harry Bosch in this very good thriller.

Harry is still working part time for the San Fernando police dept. Renee is still working the LAPD "Late Show." She catches Harry searching for information on a cold case, is intrigued and a partnership of sorts begins.

The two work their off hours on one old murder case but each have their own difficult cases and personal issues as well. While focusing on each individual case we also see the work on Daisy Clayton's murder case.

It will be interesting to see how this new pairing works in the future. ( )
  Nancyjcbs | May 2, 2019 |
Like Ian Rankin with john Rebus, Michael Connelly chose early on to let his principal protagonist, Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch, age in real time. I think that they both chose wisely, as the two detectives’ awareness of their increasing age, and concerns about how they might occupy themselves beyond enforced retirement, lent a further patina of verisimilitude to the later books in books series. On the down side, it left both Rankin and Connelly having to consider how they might credibly extend the viability of two such well crafted characters. As it happens, both of them ended up working cold cases for their respective departments.

Indeed, Bosch has been through retirement twice, having been forced to leave the cold case unit that he had worked for after his initial retirement some years ago. As this novel opens, he is still desperate to do whatever he can to fight crime, and is working as an unpaid reservist for the San Fernando Police Department. San Fernando is a separate town within the city limits of Los Angeles, responsible for its own municipal governance and running its own small police force.

Although San Fernando’s crime rate is markedly lower than that of the huge city that engulfs it, there have been a number of gang-related crimes over the years, which has left several unsolved cases for Bosch to tackle. One of the more prominent old gang killing draws new attention when Bosch and his team learn of potential new forensic evidence. Cherishing this lead, Bosch and his SFPD partner Bella Lourdes swing into action.

In the meantime, when not working for SFPD, Bosch has been looking into the murder nine years previously of Daisy, the teenage daughter of a woman whom Bosch had encountered in a case when he had gone under cover to investigate gang involvement in opioid trafficking. His researches bring him late one night into the old police headquarters, where a former colleague turns a blind eye to Bosch’s researches through old case files. While reviewing these old cases, he is challenged by Renee Ballard, a much younger detective who has been undeservedly exiled to ‘the late show’ as the permanent detective night shift is known. After initial mutual wariness, both Bosch and Ballard recognise elements of themselves in the other, and form a vague alliance to investigate the killing of Daisy, although Ballard is quick to insist that Bosch operates within the rules.

As always, Connelly’s prose is gripping, and the reader is pulled in to the story right from the start. The focus alternates between Ballard and Bosch, following each of them as they try to balance the demands of their current cases with the investigation into Daisy’s murder.

The result is another fast paced thriller with watertight plotting. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Apr 30, 2019 |
For Detective Mitzi Roberts, Renée's inspiration
The patrol officers had left the front door open.

Download This Book In Full Version For FREE Here:

Teaming up with Harry Bosch to reopen a cold case, LAPD detective Rene Ballard navigates interpersonal differences to pursue justice for a murdered runaway in Hollywood.Rene Ballard returns to Hollywood Station from working the night beat. She finds a stranger rifling through old file cabinets-- retired detective Harry Bosch, working a cold case that has gotten under his skin. Ballard kicks him out, but then checks into the case herself. Bosch is investigating the death of fifteen-year-old Daisy Clayton, a runaway on the streets of Hollywood who was brutally murdered and her body left in a dumpster like so much trash. Now, Ballard joins forces with Bosch to find out what happened to Daisy and finally bring her killer to justice. -- adapted from jacket… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible