dismiss

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

The Kiss Quotient (edition 2018)

by Helen Hoang (Author)

From the author of The Bride Test comes a romance novel hailed as one of The Washington Post's 50 Notable Works of Fiction in 2018 and one of Amazon's Top 100 Books of 2018! "This is such a fun read and it's also quite original and sexy and sensitive."--Roxane Gay, New York Times bestselling author "Hoang's writing bursts from the page."--Buzzfeed A heartwarming and refreshing debut novel that proves one thing: there's not enough data in the world to predict what will make your heart tick. Stella Lane thinks math is the only thing that unites the universe. She comes up with algorithms to predict customer purchases--a job that has given her more money than she knows what to do with, and way less experience in the dating department than the average thirty-year-old. It doesn't help that Stella has Asperger's and French kissing reminds her of a shark getting its teeth cleaned by pilot fish. Her conclusion: she needs lots of practice--with a professional. Which is why she hires escort Michael Phan. The Vietnamese and Swedish stunner can't afford to turn down Stella's offer, and agrees to help her check off all the boxes on her lesson plan--from foreplay to more-than-missionary position... Before long, Stella not only learns to appreciate his kisses, but crave all of the other things he's making her feel. Their no-nonsense partnership starts making a strange kind of sense. And the pattern that emerges will convince Stella that love is the best kind of logic...… (more)
Member:jessicadelellis
Title:The Kiss Quotient
Authors:Helen Hoang (Author)
Info:Berkley (2018), 352 pages
Rating:***

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

I read this book as a buddy read so it took me a little longer than usual to finish this since I was going at the other person’s pace. I originally wasn’t planning on writing a review, but I ended up having a lot of thoughts on this book.

I really wanted to love this book, but I didn’t. For some reason, it just never resonated with me.

The whole book was pretty unbelievable. I’ve read a ton of romances so I know that they often err on that side, but this was a little too much for me. I don’t want to get spoilery so I’ll just say that my main issue was how everything wrapped up way too perfectly at the end. Every loose end was tied up.

I also felt that for a leading lady, I never truly got to know Stella. One topic of debate online in regards to the book is what ethnicity Stella is (I personally got the vibe that she was Asian). I think that just goes to show that she was not as developed as she could have been. I wish I knew more about her. Like what was her childhood/upbringing like? We learned a lot about Michael and his family life, but we only skimmed the surface of Stella’s.

As for the positives, the book is a cute love story. I adored Michael. I thought he was a great love interest and I loved that he was a fashion designer (way to break stereotypes!) I also loved that it took place in the Bay Area (where I am from).

Overall, this didn’t live up to the hype for me. It’s a sweet and (sometimes steamy) romance, but it is not my favorite. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Mar 26, 2020 |
I received a free ebook copy of The Kiss Quotient from NetGalley in exchange for feedback and an honest review.

The Kiss Quotient is a truly sweet romance. Stella, an autistic woman and econometrician, hires an escort to teach her how to be a better sexual partner (i.e. her past sexual partners were just bad). He just happens to be the man of her dreams, and vice versa, because this is a romance novel. That's not a complaint: I really did enjoy this book, and rooted for Stella and Michael the whole time. I may be a flagrant lesbian, but even I can see the appeal of a tattooed Swedish/Vietnamese clothing designer and martial artist with an eight pack. And Stella? She's a dreamboat, and utterly relatable to me. They're perfect for each other: the end.

All else aside, I was really happy with how much verbal consent there was in this romance. Stella's journey to sexual (and otherwise) fulfillment is a bumpy road, and Michael makes it clear that he is not interested in sex without enthusiastic consent. Thank you, please! Additionally, he loves Stella for who she is: amazing. There really is a low bar for people, but Michael is a really great character. His family is lovely, as well, and bring a lot of color to this novel. This was a refreshing, cheering read; do recommend. ( )
  kittenelephant | Mar 21, 2020 |
The premise of this book was very promising. Unfortunately, the author spent a lot more time describing the sex between the two characters rather than any of their relationship. I passed on the Fifth Shades fad, as it's not my cup of tea and what little I skimmed didn't seem to be well written. This for me, felt much the same. ( )
  slittleson | Mar 19, 2020 |
I had heard so much about this book that I just had to pick it up and see it all the hype was right - it DEFINITELY is! THis book was an amazing fun read. The characters were interesting and well written and you can't help but fall in love with them as they struggle to decide if their relationship is business or pleasure.
The idea of a character with Autism adds an interesting aspect to the story and makes the relationship all the more interesting. I laughed and cried all the way to the Happily Ever After. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Very sweet love story!
Michael is an intelligent man that, in dire circumstances, had to become an escort in addition to working on his mother’s sewing shop.
Stella is a econometrist that has difficulties in her relationships with man and that decides to get help from a professional.
What starts as a weird arrangement ends up in a romantic story of acceptance and love.
Looking forward reading more books by this Author.
  LuReviewsBooks | Mar 19, 2020 |
Dedicated to my family.

Chi 2, Chi 3, Chi 4, Anh 5, and 7,
for being my safe place.

for loving me, labels, quirks,
obsessions, and all.

for letting your mama write.
You are the best thing I have.
"I know you hate surprises, Stella. In the interests of communicating our expectations and providing you a reasonable timeline, you should know we're ready for grandchildren."

Before long, Stella not only learns to appreciate his kisses, but crave all of the other things he's making her feel. Their no-nonsense partnership starts making a strange kind of sense. And the pattern that emerges will convince Stella that love is the best kind of love. Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,751,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible