Blood Type by K. A. Linde

Blood Type

by K. A. Linde

1251,135,367 (3.83)None

The idea behind this book I liked. Vampires are known and they have a corporation to provide them with blood and compensation to the humans in an economy that is in the toilet. The execution of the plot wasn't as great. I didn't like the characters; Reyna let Beckham treat her like shit and still kept going back to him. Beckham was a dick and didn't really make an effort to know Reyna. With MCs I didn't like, it was hard to care about what happened. I saw the ending coming and don't have a desire to read the next book. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Review May Contain Spoilers*

Blood Type is the first book in the Blood Type trilogy. This trilogy is featured around one couple…Beckham and Reyna. This is a trilogy I have had my eye on for quite some time, and unfortunately I have had to wait this long to read it, mostly because I wanted to wait until I had ALL three books because the first two books end in cliffhangers so its good to note that if you don’t have all three books and prefer to wait for all three.

Our story first starts with Blood Type this is a story that begins with our heroine. The vampires have become known to the human world, and there was a period of economic fallout and now vampires control everything and the majority of human kind live in poverty. Reyna, our heroine, has only her two brothers left, and they are everything to her. They are both working double shifts at a factory to make ends meet and they don’t exactly live in a good part of town. Reyna has tried to find a good job somewhere, but there are none available. But there is one option, an option her brothers will be so furious at her for doing….become a blood donor for vampires. When she enters the facility and begins her testing, she is offered a rollout that is very new, where it would offer better benefits, double the pay but it would be a more permanent situation. So she agrees, to it and meets the vampire she will be providing for…Beckham. At first, he is closed off and a bit rude. But he doesn’t feed off her like she expects him to, he gives her a nice place to live with him, a new wardrobe and an unlimited credit card and a cell phone. She starts to realize that he is one of the good ones out there.

“Everyone is corrupt. Everyone is broken.”
“I’m not,” she whispered.
“Oh Little One, this world will kill the goodness left within your beating heart.”
“But it will not break me.”
“No,” he agreed. He leaned his head into her hair and drew a deep breath. “I will do that.”

Reyna is able to visit with her brothers and let them know what is going on and even though they are furious, they are also understanding and why she felt she had no choice. But when she goes to a corporate meeting with Beckham and meet his boss and other associates, she starts to realize how kind Beckham really is because she sees how the other vamps treat their “humans” and it’s no more than slavery. But Beckham leaves her freedom for the most part and has yet to feed off of her but there are some characteristics about Beckham that don’t add up and she wants to know more about him. She feels a strong intensity to Beckham and doesn’t know what she is truly feeling.

Her feeling are tested for him when he takes her out in the city, to let her get some shots with her new camera (that he bought for her) and she begins to realize the real truth behind the man that hides beneath a mask of deception. She learns that while he may be working at the top in Visage, he is also working to bring it down and bring more equality and safety to humans too. But she also realizes how powerful their connection is when the moment arrives and they kiss and touch and sizzle each other but she learns that he has a girlfriend and refuses to be played. But through a set of circumstances, she learns who this “girlfriend” really is and that not everything is as it seems. She also learns why her blood type is so unique and causes a dangerous reaction with Beckham, a reaction that will plunge her into darkness, betrayed and tossed in the hands of a vampire more dangerous than she ever comprehended…

Blood Type is one of those stories that I was sucked right into and boy this world….I became so addicted. I really love the set up of the story though, so I was intrigued to see where K.A. Linde would take this world that she created and boy she threw me into a world I NEVER saw coming or expected and I love a book that can surprise me and Linde really threw me a new one with Blood Type and now I can hardly wait to grab up books 2 and 3. I am very curious about more about her Blood Type and why it causes such a reaction and I am curious about the “Rebellion” of Elle. I have a feeling this is just the beginning, just the appetizer of what is going to become more intense and I am ALL in.

She wanted more. She craved him like an addict craved the next hit. She didn’t know what he did to her, but when they got like this, she didn’t care. It didn’t matter how infuriating he was, she was caught up in the whirlwind of their desires.

The romance that develops between Beckham and Reyna is pretty intense. At first, they have this enemies to lovers trope, where they are obviously enemies. Because vampires are not looking highly upon by human, which makes sense and considering they are living in luxury while humans are barely surviving and many are destitute. But Reyna is not like other humans, she doesn’t judge vampires based on some bad apples, she sees the good in Beckham and even though he has a dark past, she doesn’t judge him for his past actions, only on the person he has become.

“She could tell he was fighting with his inner demons, and she felt horrible but she hoped they won out. She wanted him so desperately.”

We do have some scary main villains and boy they crack a punch in this book. They are the type of villains that will give you the shivers and might give you a nightmare or two. ( I know because I got one last night) The way that K.A. Linde wrote this book was so intense and full of intrigue and suspense that you never knew what she would be throwing at you next.

The ending was pretty fantastic, and yes I know it ends up in a cliffhanger, but even though I was still expecting it, it still threw me a curveball and yeah I wanted to just SCREAM because it was so dang good and leaves you hanging. ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 6, 2019 |
The thing that I liked most of all the book, by far, is the setting. Worldbuilding is full-bodied and vivid. We are in a post-economic collapse society, poverty is rampant and only a select few live well if not normally.
The suffering, the trudging every day, the filth, the greyness, everything stands out as if there were a lighthouse aimed at.
Everything has the taste of District 12 on one side and District 1 on the other.

And then there are the characters.
If I tell you that they are very well characterized, do you believe me? Well, yes, okay, not all the characters are very well characterized, vampires are. And also the villains. Reyna, on the other hand... oh well, you know that I'm almost never a fan of heroines.
Let's start with the vampires: they are a bit modernized in their ability to get out in the sunlight, but at the same time they maintain the lust and blood-thirst typical of old horror films. Men or women do not care, they crave blood and living in a civilized society does not make them more human. I must say that the two villains are very creepy.
As for Beckham, he is beautiful and damned. He is different, but I can not tell you how.

The relationship between the two protagonists reminded me a lot of the manga "Midnight Secretary" and I liked it a lot because, even if that comic is the trash fair, it always manages to involve me.
And "Blood Type" was not different. It involved me from beginning to end, thanks to a very simple and super smooth style.

What did not convince me - beyond the protagonist who is a bit Tris in "Insurgent" - is only a scene towards the end but is forgotten in a hurry thanks to the cliffhanger that, fortunately, removes the effect "Twilight" to the whole thing (not that I have anything against Twilight, I continue to adore him like the first time, but here he was not there). ( )
  jeky91 | Jun 15, 2018 |
I really had a good time with this book. It is no secret that I love a good vampire story so this book got my attention right away. I thought that this vampire world sounded just different enough to be really interesting and I knew that I would have to make reading it a priority. I was pulled into the story right away and found myself trying to read every moment that I could. I found this book to be an incredibly entertaining romance.

Reyna feels like she has no other option left so she signs up to work for Visage, a company that pairs vampires with humans willing to be fed upon. Usually these positions are temporary with blood donors cycling to a different vampire after a number of weeks but Reyna is selected for a new program where she will be assigned to a single vampire on a permanent basis. This is how she finds herself moving into Beckham Anderson's penthouse.

This story is told from Reyna's point of view and I liked her right away. I felt her desperation and her fear. I also understood why she felt the need to question everything she didn't understand although there were more than a few times that I wanted to warn her that speaking up may not be the wisest choice. Reyna was confused by Beckham, or Becks, at times and he was very hard to read during parts of the book especially at the start of the story.

This book had enough excitement to keep things very interesting. The world that the book is set in is a little different than I have read before so I really enjoyed just getting to experience the world along with Reyna. The book did take a few rather exciting turns. I was able to guess a few of the twists but others came as a total surprise. I really liked Becks and Reyna together and thought that they had fantastic chemistry but this was definitely a romance that was very slow to start.

I would recommend this book to fans of paranormal romance. This book does end with a lot of unresolved issues that will most likely be dealt with in the next book in the series. I am very excited that we will get the chance to watch the relationship between Reyna and Becks develop over the course of the series. I can't wait to read more of this amazing series!

I received a digital review copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 30, 2018 |
I have been a vampire watcher since I was a teenager and Dark Shadows hit the TV. Since that time I have read countless books on the subject and enjoyed other current TV offerings. So.. I can say with fang-objectivity that Blood Type is an original tasty drink. Lowly but independent Reyna sees no other option but to offer herself as a blood donor for a monetary return. But of course new rules to the game are not revealed until there is no turning back. Instead of a temporary assignment all placements are permanent. Beckham is a dark dangerous and rich vampire who takes possession of Reyna. Much action and politics lend itself in Blood Type. Linde leaves her amazing characters on a cliff hanger but with the high caliper of this novel stars are not deducted. A copy of this book was supplied byRandom House Publishing Group - Loveswept via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. Comments here are my honest opinion." ( )
  marandajo | Apr 24, 2018 |

A startling new vision of paranormal romance: When a human ventures into the world of vampires?a decadent milieu of blood-bonds and betrayal?she discovers that not all is what it seems. For Reyna Carpenter, giving up her body isn't a choice. It's survival. In a civilization laid waste by poverty and desperation, Reyna accepts a high-paying position with the wealthy and hungry vampire elite. Her new job is as the live-in blood escort for the intimidating, demanding, and devilishly handsome Beckham Anderson. He's everything she expected from a vampire, except for one thing?he won't feed off her. Reyna soon discovers that behind Beckham's brooding, wicked fa?ade lies a unique and complex man. And that, in a dark and divided world, she is more valuable than she ever would have believed. For with each passing night, Reyna can't shake the sensation that it's Beckham who's afraid of her . Note: Reyna and Beckham's story continues in Blood Match . This ebook includes an excerpt from another Loveswept title.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,431,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible