Dragon's Code: Anne McCaffrey's…

Dragon's Code: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (Pern: The… (edition 2019)

by Gigi McCaffrey (Author)

Series: Pern: Renegades of Pern (10), Pern (9th pass)

A new hero emerges in a divided world as one of sci-fi's most beloved series—Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern—relaunches with this original adventure from Anne's daughter, Gigi McCaffrey. In honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the Dragonriders of Pern series, Gigi does her mother proud, adding to the family tradition of spinning unputdownable tales that recount the adventures of the brave inhabitants of a distant planet who battle the pitiless adversary known as Thread. The last time Thread attacked Pern, the world was unprepared for the fight—until the Oldtimers appeared. These courageous dragonriders arrived from the past, traveling four hundred years to help their descendants survive. But the collision of past and present took its toll. While most of the displaced rescuers adapted to their new reality, others could not abide the jarring change and found themselves in soul-crushing exile, where unhappiness and resentment seethed.Piemur, a journeyman harper, also feels displaced, cast adrift by the loss of his spectacular boyhood voice and uncertain of his future. But when the Masterharper of Pern sees promise in the young man and sends him undercover among the exiled Oldtimers, Piemur senses the looming catastrophe that threatens the balance of power between the Weyrs and Holds of Pern. When the unthinkable happens, Piemur must rise to the challenge to avert disaster and restore honor to the dragons and dragonriders of Pern. Because now, in a world already beset by Thread, another, more insidious danger looms: For the first time in living memory, dragons may be on the verge of fighting dragons.… (more)
Member:Haraldsdottir
Title:Dragon's Code: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern (Pern: The Dragonriders of Pern)
Authors:Gigi McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2019), Edition: Reissue, 352 pages

Work Information

Dragon's Code: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern by Gigi McCaffrey

When Todd started writing with his mom, I was cautiously optimistic. I grew up on Pern, loved Pern, and re-read the series every couple years. I knew Anne was aging, and I was hopeful that Todd, having grown up with her and writing with her, would be able to take over and continue to tell stories in a world I loved. Like I said, I was optimistic. Right up until I read the first few books. Todd made radical changes to the canon, used the same repetitive plots over and over, and wrote the flattest, most Mary Sue-ish characters in the series.

Now I realize I was perhaps too hard on Todd. Gigi is by far the weaker of the two and Anne made do with what she had.

Todd played pretty much in his own timeline, picking a pass that wasn't used in his mother's stories. This gave him a lot of freedom while writing - freedom to make his own characters, plots, small adjustments to geography, etc. I thought that was respectful of his mother's creation. Don't get me wrong - he still fucked up canon in ways that didn't make sense (as opposed to the small errs that Anne made, which were largely typos in dragon names or colors), but it was at least temporally isolated from the rest of Pern.

Gigi just dives into some of the most popular, most well-established and well-loved characters of the series to reprise one of the biggest stories in the series. Its a super ballsy move that would take a lot of knowledge and skill to pull off, and Gigi, sadly, does not have either. There's multiple small issues with the canon. For example, Gigi seems to mistake the Terran horses for the Pandoran direhorse. Horses have 4 legs, not 6.

But I can almost, almost ignore those. Like I said, Anne made small typos too. Here, Gigi is writing about Piemur, Sebell, Menolly, and Robinton. None of their personality is captured. The dialogue is stilted and without any character voice (plenty of painful fake accents, though). There is no plot to speak of and what little plot there is is recycled from other Pern books and underdeveloped. Oh no, the dragons are sick again, oh wait here's a convenient, ancient cure. Oh no, we don't have enough dragons to fight Thread oh wait we convinced some to do a time jump. Todd overused these plots to death and Gigi appears to follow the trend.

Piemur lacks any real agency - he just wanders place to place as he's told reporting information people either already knew or don't care about. His biggest contribution is a half-page speech at the end that was painfully cliched and the resulting success doesn't feel earned.

At this point I think I'm done hoping that Pern will continue. Anne gave us over a dozen solid Pern stories. We should be content with that.

TL;DR: This is the Pern equivalent of Star Wars prequels, or the Twilight book Life and Death - a story that could be told, but didn't need to be told, wasn't told well, and contributed nothing to the established story/setting. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
So wonderful to return to Pern after all these years. ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
So wonderful to return to Pern after all these years. ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Both Todd and Gigi have successfully carried on the Pern Adventures. Dragon's Code is center around journeyman Harper Piemur's adventures. I'm not going to regurgitate characters and plots, but I have definitely been hooked again with this 24th book in the Pern list. ( )
  bdinsman | Sep 10, 2020 |
A frustrating read. As a standalone novel, the book works okay. But as a novel in the Pern canon, it is neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red herring. The author should not have used familiar characters if she planned on making so many changes. My problem was I have been reading the books in timeline order, 22 of them since the beginning of March and I have a very clear image in my head of who is alive, what the personalities are like, that Stupid is a horse not a six legged ruminant, that Harper Hall is not inside Fort Hold and that you cannot walk from Fort Hold to Fort Weyr. I kept being thrown out of the story by discrepancies like Robinton's curt dismissal of Piemur's report and lack of notice of his state of health..he seems a much less empathic man in this incarnation. If I were a newcomer to this book, I think I would have liked it better. If it had been a slice of history with new characters or closer to canon with existing characters it would please long time readers more. It is rather like a fan fiction story where it is acceptable and/or expected that a writer will deviate from canon. The reader has to be prepared or used to variations. Since there are so very many Pern novels that all follow consistently within canon with minimal errors in canon, and a lot of those could be passed off as typos, this is unsettling. All that being said, it is a good first effort at writing in this universe and I hope the author tries again...we are all awaiting a sequel to The Skies of Pern. As a Pern junky, even imperfect Pern is better than no Pern. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Pern (9th pass)
This book is dedicated to the present and to the past:
With love to my brothers, Alec and Todd,
to my husband, Geoff, and to our son, Owen.
for your enduring love and support.
And for your near-perfect understanding of
the delicate dichotomies and abundant
absurdities of "the Geej."
And to the memory of my loving parents:
H. Wright Johnson and Anne Inez McCaffrey.
I know you're both out there,
somewhere, in the cosmos.
Clouds of warm, dust-laden air billowed down around Piemur and whipped off his floppy hat as hundreds of dragons and their riders lifted off from the ground, steadily filling the sky overhead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,446,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible