Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall

Hello Lighthouse (edition 2018)

by Sophie Blackall (Author)

17620101,756 (4.29)10
Member:accbooks
Title:Hello Lighthouse
Authors:Sophie Blackall (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), Edition: 1st Edition, 48 pages

Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall

Hello Lighthouse by Sopie Blackall is a touching story of a lighthouse keeper – and eventually his family – as they have routines and adventures keeping the lighthouse. In the end, new technology replaces the need for a human to run the lighthouse, so they move across the water to a home where they still see the lighthouse and its beams. Sophie Blackall also illustrated the 2016 Caldecott Medal winner Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear. Hello Lighthouse is a happy story of purpose and family.
  RebekahLB | Jul 8, 2019 |
This is another picture book in which I do not know what to say. The illustrations are astounding in their detail and subtlety. Not that I'm any sort of artist but I attempted to paint a lighthouse once, and needless to say it did not turn out so well. It was hard to capture the nuances, but Sophie Blackall does a magnificent job of exactly that. Her color choices and shifting tones and lines portray the changing tides and ebb and flow of the ocean. The story itself is a fascinating look into the life and work of a lighthouse keeper before it became a mechanized job. Back matter about Lighthouses. A worthy Caldecott medal winner. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jun 28, 2019 |
Excellent picture book with magnificent illustrations about lighthouses, lighthouse keepers, and automation of lighthouses. Definitely deserving of the Caldecott it earned. I read a library copy, but I plan to purchase this for my own library when the paperback comes out later this spring! ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 3, 2019 |
I’ve loved lighthouses since I was a girl, and I know I would have pored over this book many times during preschool and early elementary grade ages. I enjoyed viewing the lighthouse rooms and their contents. Entrancing and enchanting. As a child the pictures could have kept me captivated for long periods of time.

The illustrations definitely make the book. They’re gorgeous. Mesmerizing. The illustrations of the lighthouse and especially the natural beauty of the sea, sky, rocks are spectacular. I wasn’t 100% a fan of the depictions of people but I liked them well enough.

The repetitive lines story was rather sad, and more than a bit gloomy at times, though it’s also sweet and has an ending that while not idyllic is pleasant and happy enough. Some might also love the story but this could have worked fine for me as a wordless or nearly wordless picture book. For young children I can see how the words might be lulling and entertaining.

The final two text pages about lighthouses and their keepers for older children/readers were interesting and were for me a welcome part of the book.

This is a lovely book and can be enjoyed by independent readers, reading aloud for families, schools, libraries, etc.

I’d had this on my list and when I found out it won the Caldecott Medal I made a point of getting to it. I think the honor is well deserved. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Mar 31, 2019 |
A new keeper arrives at a lighthouse. It’s a lonely job until his wife arrives to accompany him. As the weather and the seasons pass the duties of the lighthouse and the keeper, his wife and baby girl are illustrated as the waves and the wind swirl around it in circles, visually echoing the round interior of the lighthouse. Ships, whales, fish, and icebergs pass by. There’s a fierce storm and a dramatic rescue at sea. The little family’s solitude is interrupted only when the tender comes by with supplies and news, until the day when it brings an automated light, and the humans depart their rocky outpost, to watch their old home from a new one overlooking it on the coast. Blackall’s rendering of the patterns and colors of the waves in ink and watercolor are truly remarkable, as are her circular lighthouse interiors. ( )
  MaowangVater | Mar 18, 2019 |

Watch the days and seasons pass as the wind blows, the fog rolls in, and icebergs drift by. Outside, there is water all around. Inside, the daily life of a lighthouse keeper and his family unfolds as the keeper boils water for tea, lights the lamp's wick, and writes every detail in his logbook.

"Explores the life of one lighthouse as it beams its message out to sea through shifting seasons, changeable weather, and the tenure of its final keeper."--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,434,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible