Hardened Hearts by Gwendolyn Kiste

Hardened Hearts

by Gwendolyn Kiste (Contributor), Eddie Generous (Editor)

Other authors: Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi (Contributor), Laura Blackwell (Contributor), John Boden (Contributor), Theresa Braun (Contributor), Somer Canon (Contributor)11 more, Tom Deady (Contributor), Robert Dean (Contributor), Calvin Demmer (Contributor), Meg Elison (Contributor), Scott Paul Hallam (Contributor), Sarah L. Johnson (Contributor), J.L. Knight (Contributor), James Newman (Foreword), Madhvi Ramani (Contributor), Leo X. Robertson (Contributor), Jennifer Williams (Contributor)

432,543,689 (3.83)None
17 stories of difficult love, broken hearts, lost hope, and discarded truths. Love brings pain, vulnerability, and demands of revenge. Hardened Hearts spills the sum of darkness and light concerning the measures of love; including works from Meg Elison, author of The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (Winner of the Philip K. Dick Award), Tom Deady, author of Haven (Winner of the Bram Stoker award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel), Gwendolyn Kiste, author of And Her Smile Will Untether the Universe and Pretty Marys All in a Row, and many more. Hardened Hearts dips from speculative, horror, science fiction, fantasy, into literary and then out of the classifiable and into the waters of unpinned genres, but pure entertainment nonetheless. FOREWORD - James Newman IT BREAKS MY HEART TO WATCH YOU ROT - Somer Canon WHAT IS LOVE? - Calvin Demmer HEIRLOOM - Theresa Braun THE RECLUSE - John Boden 40 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR MONSTER LOVER - Gwendolyn Kiste DOG TIRED - Eddie Generous THE PINK BALLOON - Tom Deady IT'S MY PARTY AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO - J.L. Knight BURNING SAMANTHA - Scott Hallam CONSUMED - Madhvi Ramani CLASS OF 2000 - Robert Dean LEARNING TO LOVE - Jennifer Williams BROTHERS - Leo X. Robertson PORCELAIN SKIN - Laura Blackwell THE HEART OF THE ORCHARD - Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi MEETING THE PARENTS - Sarah L. Johnson MATCHMAKER - Meg Elison… (more)

Hardened Hearts is a collection of short stories that is gross, lovely, sad, scary, terrifying, evil and all that is in between. The characters hearts will be laid bare, some you can literally see. Are you afraid yet? Some of the horror can be in told a few pages, some will take longer, but all of them are sure to entertain you. I give the collection four stars, but have also included a one sentence review for each story.

See them at http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Mar 26, 2018 |
Some hearts are tougher to stomach than others.

Short stories running the rusty knife gamut of love, from the insanely familiar strains of the obsessively romantic and the deeply sexual and passionate, to infinitely complex and weighted familial bindings. Despite the welcome variety in the stories selected for this collection, and the attempt to traverse as wide a spectrum of styles as possible, the subject is too grand and doomed to glorious failure. Which is fitting of course. The collection burns bravely, and ends up above average, and even a little wiser as a result, if we are allowing such things. I like the ambition.

Nothing more frightening and unendurable than an exquisite heart hardening against you. ( )
  RebeccaGransden | Mar 8, 2018 |
In this day and age, love and love stories in fiction has become in some cases quite formulaic. Hardened Hearts has seventeen short stories that break the mold! Love is not always sunshine and rainbows, love can be passionate, desperate, painful, dark, as well as twisted and disturbing. With each story in this book I found a new idea of love and these stories crossed across many different genres as well. There are many stories to choose from but my favorites were:

It Breaks my Heart to Watch You Rot by Somer Canon: I read a lot of paranormal romance with long lived creatures, sometimes immortals, and I loved reading a story that made me consider what it would be like for an immortal to take a mortal lover that was not also given the gift of immortality. It’s one thing to grow old with someone but to watch them wither, just heartbreaking! I loved it!
Heirloom by Theresa Braun: I loved that I was captivated by the main character, the ring, and the mirror. The story kept me guessing from the start and I would love to see this short story turned into its own full-length novel. It was dark, disturbing, and engaging. The writing was spot on and I was invested in the plot from beginning to end.
The Pink Balloon by Tom Deady: This story is utterly heartbreaking and every parent’s nightmare. Hits so close to home with our fears and the ending is so sad but a reality for some after the loss of their child. Such a good read!
Burning Samantha by Scott Hallum: This short story started out so wonderful for the main character Samantha but quickly turned into a heart wrenching dream crusher for Samantha. I hate that this sort of thing still happens in our society and I just wanted to tell Samantha’s character to stay true to herself.
This compilation of stories has a taste for every palate. They all elicited an emotional response from me, some were positive emotions others were negative but overall, I appreciated the spectrum of views on love that were brought forth in these short stories. I would highly recommend Hardened Hearts to anyone looking for a diverse view on the emotional subject of love!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Theresa Braun. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Feb 5, 2018 |

Newman, JamesForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ramani, MadhviContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robertson, Leo X.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, JenniferContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible