Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town,…

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) (edition 2013)

by Ray Bradbury

In "Something wicked this way comes" evil arrives in a small Midwestern town on the crest of the wind one autumn night. In "A sound of thunder" a safari company promises to transport adventurers back in time so they can hunt any animal that ever existed.
Member:chauveaux
Title:Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks, Kindle Edition, 308 pages
Rating:***

Something Wicked This Way Comes / Sound of Thunder (Library Edition) by Ray Bradbury

chauveaux | Sep 11, 2019 |
This is a book a read as a child and I revisited it through this dramatization by the Colonial Radio Players. All I could remember was a mysterious carnival and a dust witch (which is different from a sand witch). The material lends itself well to dramatization with the exception of characters constantly having to describe what they're seeing. The story captures that frightening feeling in a child's life when they know something is wrong and for the first time realize that the grownups can't fix it. I also really came to appreciate the father and son relationship of Charles and Will Holloway, and how Charles tries to do his best despite not knowing the answers. The story works well at maintaining a sense of dread and horror which is then released with laughter and joy. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Apr 30, 2018 |
Rebecca Musser
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I finished this over the weekend, but had to think about my review for a while. Bradbury has some of the greatest imagery around & really captured the view from young boys' eyes. The magic & horror were very well done. I liked the overall message & point, too. Unfortunately, it just took too long to get around to it all.

It didn't help that the reader had a low, deep voice. At times I'd miss words. Possibly that's just my old hearing causing issues, but I don't think that was the only problem. I liked the voice otherwise.

Anyway, it wasn't a bad story, just too long for what it contained, possibly just in this format, although I seem to recall trying to read it years ago & getting bored, too. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Overuse of metaphors; I read it for a book club and by the end I was praying for death. I didn't care whose.
2 vote SomeGuyInVirginia | Aug 20, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible