Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender…

Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity

by Matt Bernstein Sycamore

each essay is at least somewhat interesting, and there r a few rly terrific ones like the essay on homohop. superbly edited/collected overall, good sampling of topics/voices/styles of essay.

many of the issues addressed, like the evolution of the battered womens movement, have since 2006 become relatively popular/well-known narratives among the queer social justice literati, so someone ~in the kno~ (like myself) might find a lot of familiar material; but the essays r skimmable enuf that i dont think this detracts from the reading, and this makes the collection both accessible and insightful for e.g. interested allies, or those who want to read more essayish material but aren't into theorycore ( )
  alexanme | Dec 9, 2018 |
This anthology includes a set of really diverse essays on negotiating all kinds of identities in all kinds of spaces. The editor included works on many, many types of passing in many types of settings, not just passing as the "standard" gender, race, or sexuality in a mainstream, Western society setting. Some of the essays were wonderful and others didn't grab my attention, but they all helped to create a conversation as I read about identity and passing in all of one's shared spaces. ( )
  alwright1 | Jul 5, 2013 |
This is an amazing book! The essays are diverse and cover a lot intersections of race, gender, sexuality. This was an easily-readable and accessible collection, but they challenge the reader and require analysis - a very unique combination.

I couldn't recommend this book enough. ( )
  rmostman | May 25, 2010 |
Incredibly important book. ( )
  jesster | Jul 31, 2008 |
Ugh, so, so, so good. A lot more focus on race and ethnicity than I would've expected. Definitely one of my favorite books on gender I've ever read. Up there with Genderqueer. ( )
  doloreshaze55 | Mar 7, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,656,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible