Pandemic 1918: Eyewitness Accounts from the…

Pandemic 1918: Eyewitness Accounts from the Greatest Medical Holocaust in… (2018)

by Catharine Arnold

I've always found the Spanish flu fascinating, simply because we don't hear much about it. It had never been mentioned in any of my history classes in high school; it was only when I took a course in Twentieth Century European history that I heard of the Spanish flu for the first time.

This book is a good overview of the Spanish flu epidemic, and I definitely learned a few new things. It's based on people's personal experiences during the epidemic, so there's not an overarching organization to this book. It's more a loose collection of "what happened in this part of the world" chapters. I would have liked a bit more structure to the book. ( )
  schatzi | Jan 16, 2019 |
Fifty million dead world wide, over a third of the worlds population dead in just one year. One could greet a friend in the morning, and find out that person died the next day. I can't even imagine that something, outside of a war could cause such a tragedy as this. Yet, it was the Spanish flu, the Spanish lady that would spread across the globe, leaving heartache and terror in its wake. This book describes how it was spread, where it was spread, but also includes letters, journal and diary entires, from those who were present at the time.

WWI and troop movements, trains, ports, all greatly helped the Spanish lady. A young Vera Brittain, a nurse in one of the British camps, was cheered seeing the healthy looking American troops arrive. Of course, she had no way of knowing they carried death with them. She would go on to write of her experiences in her, [book:Testament of Youth|374388]. Katherine Anne Porter lived through it and wrote [book:Pale Horse, Pale Rider|672222], chronicling her experience. Roosevelt and all he and Eleanor's children contracted the flu. Aided by one nurse, there being such a shortage of nurses and doctors, Eleanor nursed them through. A young man, underage and against his father wishes, joined the ambulance Corp. and caught the flu. He too would live, and become Walt Disney.

It was the children, and their experiences that effected me the most. The girls jumping rope to
"I had a little bird
Its name was Enza
I opened the window and
In-flew-enza"
The young boy whose friend talked him into observing one of the daily funerals now taking place in their town. Watching, he never got over seeing the gravediggers dumping the bodies out of their coffins into a mass grave. Of course their was a shortage of coffins, shortages of everything. No one knew how to treat it, how to stop it. Mass panic and terror. It was a time that one can only hope never comes again. ( )
  Beamis12 | Jan 13, 2019 |
pandemic, war-is-hell, historical-research, historical-places-events, history-and-culture, historical-figures, horror

This volume presents a more extensive study of the transmission of this deadly opportunistic disease as it used the vector of war and also relates names of those who suffered it still familiar these hundred years later. This presentation also goes into greater detail regarding the rigors suffered by the victims and does examine it all from the British perspective. The publisher's blurb is quite respectable and ought to be interesting to the general public. I, on the other hand, represent different segments: became an RN in 1968, addicted to history, have read other books and theses on the subject, grandmother had the disease and it left heart damage, uncle had it and was told that Parkinson's was a late side effect.
The writer reminds that there was no way to visualize a virus or prove animal or avian hosting and mutation at that time, and everyone on each continent was so terrified that even historic remedies were tried.
I requested and received a free ebook review copy from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Aug 12, 2018 |

In three successive waves, from 1918 to 1919, influenza killed more than 50 million people. World-wide, the pandemic gained the notorious title of 'Spanish Flu'. The United States recorded 550,000 deaths--five times its total military fatalities in the war-- while European deaths totaled over two million. Even as entire battalions were decimated, civilian families were being struck down in their homes. The medical profession, shattered after five terrible years of conflict, lacked the resources to contain and defeat this new enemy. Arnold provides a truly global account of the terrible epidemic. -- adapted from jacket… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,504,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible