The Green Mill Murder by Kerry Greenwood

The Green Mill Murder (original 1993; edition 2007)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher (5)

4.5-star review on amazon.com. Phryne Fisher is doing one of her favorite things -dancing at the Green Mill (Melbourne's premier dance hall) to the music of Tintagel Stone's Jazzmakers, the band who taught St Vitus how to dance. And she's wearing a sparkling lobelia-coloured georgette dress. Nothing can flap the unflappable Phryne -especially on a dance floor with so many delectable partners. Nothing except death, that is.The dance competition is trailing into its last hours when suddenly, in the middle of "Bye Bye Blackbird" a figure slumps to the ground. No shot was heard. Phryne, conscious of how narrowly the missile missed her own bare shoulder, back, and dress, investigates.This leads her into the dark smoky jazz clubs of Fitzroy, into the arms of eloquent strangers, and finally into the sky, as she follows a complicated family tragedy of the great War and the damaged men who came back from ANZAC cove.Phryne flies her Gypsy Moth Rigel into the Autralian Alps, where she meets a hermit with a dog called Lucky and a wombat living under his bunk....and risks her life on the love between brothers.… (more)
Member:DeltaQueen50
Title:The Green Mill Murder
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2007), 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2022
Tags:Historical Mystery, Australia, Phryne Fisher (5), 2022CC, Category: Starsky & Hutch, September TIOLI #10: Title Includes Part of the Name of a Well Know University

Work Information

The Green Mill Murder by Kerry Greenwood (1993)

The Green Mill Murder by Kerry Greenwood is the 5th book in her Phryne Fisher mystery series. The book opens at the Green Mill Dancing establishment. Although there is a dance marathon going on, Phryne is just there for the evening. Accompanied by a rather lacklustre partner, Charles Freeman, who suddenly disappears when one of the marathon dancers falls dead to the floor.

It turns out that he has been stabbed in the heart by a very thin knife. Phryne is asked by Charles’ mother find and clear him of any charges, but also to track down his brother Victor, who has been living in the wilds after coming back from WW I scarred and shell-shocked. Phryne is kept busy with discovering who the murderer is as well as sorting out the two brothers. A big part of the story was about Phyrne’s solo flight from Melbourne to Australian Alps so while there wasn’t a great deal of mystery, this was an interesting and adventurous story.

Part of what makes these mysteries so enjoyable is how the author takes you to 1920s Melbourne with the descriptions of clothing, food, music and other culture. I fully recommend these mysteries for anyone who is looking for a light yet engaging read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 22, 2022 |
The Green Mill Murder is book five in the Phryne Fisher series and you can read them as stand-alone's, although you probably will get a better insight into the characters by reading from the beginning. I have so far read all but one prior to this book, but I have also seen the TV-series. And, have you seen the TV-series will you definitely both have a familiar feeling reading these books, but also feel that so much is different. And, the one thing I miss most of all is the flirtatious relationship between Phryne and Detective Jack Robinson. In this book, at least he was present for a little while, although I would have loved for him to have had a larger part.

As for the murder case at the Green Mill was it pretty easy to figure out how the man was murdered and I had an inkling to whom the murderer was. But, I was still a bit surprised when it all came together at the end. I may have guessed the murder weapon and the murderer, but I did have the whole picture. But, the part that I found myself liking the best was the later part of the book when Phryne flies into the Australian Alps looking for a man who wandered off years ago, left his family and civilization and become a hermit. The milieu that was described made me yearn to travel to Australia.

As for the hermit, I did wonder how long it would take for Phryne to seduce him since well, she has a knack for that. Did she seduce him? Well, I guess you have to read the book since I'm not giving the answer away!

The Green Mill Murder was an easygoing cozy mystery book, and I felt it was perfect for the moment. Sometimes I need something light between heavier books. And this worked like a charm!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
1920s Melbourne and in the Green Mill dance hall the final stagings of a dance marathon are cut short by a killing. Also on the dance floor is Phryne Fisher with her dance partner Charles Freeman. When Charles disappears his mother employs Phryne to find him and prove him innocent.
An interesting enough mystery with some likable characters.
A NetGalley Book ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
So, I have to open by saying that this is one of my least favorite episodes of the television show, and now I know why.

The problem with the adaptation is that the show writers decide to put all the focus on the death of the blackmailer, leaving almost a footnote for Charlie's missing brother. Also, having Phryne know the brother was, like I said of the changes made to the last book for the screen, a bit too convenient. It also provided the writers an out for making Charlie as despicable as he is here.

The final chapters of the book are a real thrill. I like that we spend much more time out in the country, and that the solution to the murder is less interesting to Phryne than that of Vic and his mental state after the Great War. That's the real point of this one, if you ask me. We get not only Vic's experiences and how that changed him, but also hear about Bert and Cec's war time escapades and the lasting damage that war wroughts on the survivors. The fate of the blackmailer and the jazz band are secondary, as they should be.

The couple that tells Phryne about Vic and how to get to him is a welcome part as well. Sorry we didn't get to see them in the episode. Definitely seeing a pattern in the characters that get cut from the screen adaptations, aren't we? ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jul 23, 2021 |
My first Phryne Fisher but fifth in the series. A gently sprawling mystery that came together very neatly. I'm impressed by the amount of research Greenwood must have done just to pepper the book with throwaway tidbits and sideplots.

Throughout, the breezy tone and casual winky sensuality reminded me so much of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. But now that I think about Phryne's various achievements and capabilities and connections, perhaps personality-wise she's more of a Poirot, as incongruous as that feels.

Usually having something too familiar/close to home takes me out of a story, but it was really nice to have a fairly classic private detective story in an Australian setting and with Australian characters. ( )
1 vote kitzyl | May 19, 2021 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For a good man nowadays sure is hard to find

~ Charlie Green
For Martin Suter
It was eleven by the Green Mill's clock when the cornet player went into a muted reprise in 'Bye Bye Blackbird', and one of the marathon dancers plunged heavily and finally to the floor at Phryne Fisher's feet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,780,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible