Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy by Drew Daywalt

Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy (edition 2018)

by Drew Daywalt (Author)

"When a boy who routinely refuses to go to bed gets a talkative stuffed animal, the tables are turned!"--
Member:sharpsounds
Title:Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy
Authors:Drew Daywalt (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2018), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Work Information

Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy by Drew Daywalt

Maybe a little more funny for the parents than the kids, but when an expert at stalling bedtime is given a teddy bear that is an even more capable staller, a boy gains some new perspective
  sloth852 | Jan 12, 2024 |
The one thing I liked about this book was the dialogue that went on between Sleepy and the main character (Roderick). The dialogue was written like a graphic novel or comic book, which I know will appeal to young readers. I can relate to Roderick's parents being frustrated with getting a kid to go to sleep. I wished I had a sleepy buddy for my own kid! I like how Sleepy got Roderick to sleep, but I feel like in my house it will just encourage my child to push the limits to stay up later. ( )
  knaylo2 | Feb 19, 2020 |
Drew Daywalt and Scott Campbell - the author behind the hilarious The Day the Crayons Quit, and the author/illustrator of the amusing The Hug Machine, respectively - join forces in this entertaining new bedtime tale. When Roderick has trouble going to sleep, his parents give him Sleepy, a little stuffed animal meant to help him go to bed. Instead, Sleepy is every bit as resistant to bedtime as Roderick. Will he keep Roderick up indefinitely, or is there a method to his madness...?

I greatly enjoyed Sleepy, the Goodnight Buddy, chuckling in a number of places as Roderick becomes more and more frazzled, at being put in the place of his parents, when it comes to Sleepy's reluctance to go to sleep. The ending, in which it is apparent, at least from the illustrations, that Sleepy has been deliberately using this strategy to wear Roderick down, and therefore get him to go to sleep, is particularly droll. I enjoyed the story here, and I thought the artwork paired very well with it. This is the hallmark of an excellent picture-book, and I think this new titles definitely qualifies. Recommended to anyone looking for new and entertaining bedtime stories. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Oct 26, 2018 |
An I can't sleep story ( )
  melodyreads | Oct 16, 2018 |

Drew Daywaltprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, ScottIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Roderick hates going to bed, and the young boy has become quite resourceful in coming up with ways to delay the dreaded hour when the lights must go out. Roderick's loving parents--fed up with the distractions and demands that have become his anti-bedtime ritual--decide to get him a stuffed animal to cuddle with and help him wind down. However, Sleepy quickly proves to be a bit high-maintenance. Just when we fear the night may never end, Sleepy's antics become too exhausting for Roderick to bear.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,761,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible