High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

High Fidelity (original 1995; edition 1996)

by Nick Hornby

Rob is a pop music junkie who runs his own semi-failing record store. His girlfriend, Laura, has just left him for the guy upstairs, and Rob is both miserable and relieved. After all, could he have spent his life with someone who has a bad record collection? Rob seeks refuge in the company of the offbeat clerks at his store, who endlessly review their top five films (Reservoir Dogs...); top five Elvis Costello songs ("Alison"...); top five episodes of Cheers (the one where Woody sang his stupid song to Kelly...). Rob tries dating a singer whose rendition of "Baby, I Love Your Way" makes him cry. But maybe it's just that he's always wanted to sleep with someone who has a record contract. Then he sees Laura again. And Rob begins to think (awful as it sounds) that life as an episode of thirtysomething, with all the kids and marriages and barbecues and k.d. lang CD's that this implies, might not be so bad.… (more)
Member:JetSilver
Title:High Fidelity
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Riverhead Trade (1996), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (1995)

About a Boy by Nick Hornby (Maurizio70)
    The Best a Man Can Get by John O'Farrell (alzo)
    Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: Both funny and enjoyable books about a young guy rethinking his life.
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another story where music and love are interconnected.
    The Song is You by Arthur Phillips (elenchus)
    elenchus: Similar taste in music by the protagonists, but a very different novel. Both very good.
    Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting by Brett Milano (Sr_Moreno)
    Suzy, Led Zeppelin, and Me by Martin Millar (AsYouKnow_Bob)
    Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both are introspective and character-based novels about a witty and music-obsessed young man suffering from relationship problems. Readers who enjoy savvy, music-literate fiction will enjoy the hip, colloquial prose and rich detail concerning popular music.… (more)
    YOU comma Idiot by Doug Harris (ShelfMonkey)

English (162)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (175)
If you're a girl, you're probably gonna be frustrated with Rob. But, there's the pure charm of it. Of course you're gonna hate him. He's insecure, messed up, thinks too much, talks too little about what matters and messes with you. But you're also gonna understand him and relate to him. And maybe you're gonna hate yourself for it :P
And the ending is excellent. Mr Hornby, great job.
Oh and yes, SO MANY GOOD MUSIC REFERENCES, I wanted to die!!! ( )
  JoTea | Jul 31, 2020 |
This is one of those feel-good books for people who want to keep their options open and kinda stumble about their lives only to realize they had already made up their minds and are pretty dully okay with it. :)

Does this sound kinda horrible?

Nah... but yeah, kinda, and no, because that means we're all a bit horrible. :)

But that's okay because we all have that music snob in us and we are all horribly geeky about certain things. I happen to love music just as much as Rob in the book and I'm much worse when it comes to my books, but you know what? It's freaking charming. I love it.

Just the way I loved the movie before I knew it was based on this book, I loved it. It was super charming and embarrassing and appropriate and pathetic and downright glorious. All at once.

And I'm a fan. Still am, now that I've read the book. And my only complaint? I need that soundtrack running in the background... OH WAIT! I HAVE SPOTIFY! :) Tee hee! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
sexist, offensive and just plain awful. ( )
  LianaH | Apr 4, 2020 |
1st half: 3 stars
2nd half: 2 stars

the whining was fun for a while. The kinds of angsty thoughts and daydreams that popped into his head reminded me of the angsty thoughts and daydreams my own brain excels at producing. But then it got boring and kind of pointless, and eventually so pointless as to be bordering on the realistic. Now that I'm done, I'm amazed I made it all the way through. ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
Började läsa den precis innan jag bröt upp ett förhållande, kan ju säga att jag identifierade mig med karaktären i boken. ( )
  Oerjan | Aug 29, 2019 |
Happily, Hornby does not rely on pop-cultural allusion to limn his characters' inner lives, but uses it instead to create a rich, wry backdrop for them... Hornby is as fine an analyst as he is a funny man, and his book is a true original.
added by Shortride | editTime, Gina Bellafante (Oct 9, 1995)

Mr. Hornby captures the loneliness and childishness of adult life with such precision and wit that you'll find yourself nodding and smiling.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Jolly (Sep 3, 1995)

For Virginia
My desert-island, all-time, top five most memorable split-ups, in chronological order:
1) Alison Ashworth
2) Penny Hardwick
3) Jackie Allen
4) Charlie Nicholson
5) Sarah Kendrew.
People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands—literally thousands—of songs about broken hearts and rejection and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most.
"Wenn man sich überlegt, was beim Mann alles schiefgehen kann! Da gibt es das tut-sich-gar-nichts-Problem, das Tut-sich-zu-viel-zu-schnell-Problem, das Kläglicher-Hänger-nach-vielversprechendem-Start-Problem, das Größe-spielt-keine-Rolle-außer-bei-mir-Problem, das Es-ihr-nicht-besorgen-Problem ... und worum haben sich Frauen zu sorgen? Das bißchen Zellulitis? Willkommen im club. Ein kleines Wie-war-ich-wohl? Dito.
This is the book; do not combine with the film.

Recently dumped by his wealthy girlfriend, record store owner Rob Fleming finds himself in financial trouble and sets out on a pilgrimage to ask his former girlfriends where their relationships went wrong and to learn where his life went off track.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140293469, 0141037350

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,403,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible