Charlotte Walsh likes to win : a novel by Jo…

Charlotte Walsh likes to win : a novel (edition 2018)

by Jo Piazza

"From Jo Piazza, the bestselling author of The Knock Off, How to Be Married, and Fitness Junkies, comes an exciting, insightful novel about what happens when a woman wants it all--political power, marriage, and happiness--but isn't sure just how much she's willing to sacrifice to get it. Charlotte Walsh is running for Senate in the most important race in the country during a midterm election that will decide the balance of power in Congress. Still reeling from a presidential election that shocked and divided the country and inspired by the chance to make a difference, she's left behind her high-powered job in Silicon Valley and returned, with her husband Max and their three young daughters, to her downtrodden Pennsylvania hometown to run in the Rust Belt state. Once the campaign gets underway, Charlotte is blindsided by just how dirty her opponent is willing to fight, how harshly she is judged by the press and her peers, and how exhausting it becomes to navigate a marriage with an increasingly ambivalent and often resentful husband. When the opposition uncovers a secret that could threaten not just her campaign but everything Charlotte holds dear, she has to decide just how badly she wants to win and at what cost. A searing, suspenseful story of political ambition, marriage, class, sexual politics, and infidelity, Charlotte Walsh Likes to Win is a glorious portrait of what it takes for a woman to run for national office in America today. Set amidst a disturbing political landscape unlike any other in history--with operatives who strive to win at any costs, an electorate that prefers disposable news, and unprecedented incivility from just about everyone--Jo Piazza has created an engrossing and timely novel for readers on both sides of the aisle"--… (more)
Member:tomsmalls
Title:Charlotte Walsh likes to win : a novel
Authors:Jo Piazza
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, 2018.

Work Information

Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win by Jo Piazza

Charlotte Walsh Likes To Win was the perfect balance of women’s issues, double standards for women in the workforce and political world, marriage, parenthood and more…all in a super engaging read that was hard to put down. The characters were imperfect which I think made this book even more relatable and powerful. Highly recommend! ( )
  genthebookworm | Dec 19, 2020 |
For me, this was probably a 3.5 star read. I thought it was very entertaining, and I loved the resistant political theme. The current setting of this story made it readable and likely relatable to many readers. There was a sense of strength and challenge to the powers that be in the candidate, Charlotte, that I found refreshing.
As the book continued, I got a bit bogged down by the many challenges in the lives and marriage of Charlotte and her husband, Max. It seemed almost clique that things would ratchet up so much at the end of the campaign. Although I thought it a tiny bit over done, I still found it enjoyable and worth the read.
As to the finale- somehow I knew what I would find as I turned that last page. You will have to read the book to find out what I mean by that statement.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. ( )
  c.archer | Sep 12, 2018 |
Thank you to Simon &Schuster and NetGalley for an e-ARC of Charlotte Walsh Likes to Win by Jo Piazza in exchange for an honest review. This novel reads like a day-by-day accounting of Charlotte Walsh's campaign for the Pennsylvania Senate seat, starting at 479 days to Election Day. Charlotte is an executive at a high tech company in California when she decides to enter the political ring against Senator Tug Slaughter, an 80-year-old man who has held the seat for 40 years. He is a much-married philanderer who seems unbeatable. She moves with her husband Max and three young daughters to her hometown in Pennsylvania. She soon realizes that she is judged differently because she is a woman: her wardrobe, marriage, family and character are ruthlessly examined and criticized. As the campaign proceeds, secrets become public, her marriage is tested, her stamina is stretched to its limit. This novel gives us a close look at how difficult it is to run for public office, especially for a woman who is a wife, a mother and a self-made successful career woman. The ending of the book is unexpected but really works. This is a fascinating inside look at politics in this day and age. Highly recommended. ( )
  carole888fort | Aug 11, 2018 |
Many thanks to Netgalley, Simon and Schuster and Jo Piazza for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Josh, her campaign manager, asks “Charlotte?…Are you still in this race? I can end it now. You can end it now. It still won’t be pretty, but I promise it will be easier.”…Charlotte made her voice equally low. “I want to stay in.”

Charlotte Walsh likes to win. Even when her whole life is crumbling around her, she still needs to win. Why did she decide to do this? Why run for Senate in a state that has never elected a woman. Why give up her high paying, successful career at a Silicon Valley job to join the campaign trail that is full of fast food, driving across the state in a minivan and eighteen hour days smiling and shaking hands? Why did she think with three young children and a strained marriage that this was a great next move. Most importantly, why did she decide to do this when she knew that her secret was pretty much guaranteed to come out and ruin not only her chances, but also her family.

Charlotte’s struggle is real. Her marriage has suffered an affair but was it really built on a strong foundation? During one of their fights her husband, Max, tells her that he only married her because he felt sorry for her. In her heart, Charlotte always believed it to be true. When a woman is smart, driven and successful, it seems to have a direct effect onto a man’s ego. Max gets a huge boost of respect and admiration for giving up his career to stay at home and look after their three children. Charlotte takes an enormous amount of heat for abandoning her family to pursue her selfish goal. It is still a crime in this country for a woman to want things for herself. I mean if you want to run a marathon or sell home made crafts on Etsy, you should be fine, but you are not allowed to want the same things men want. Charlotte notes that she still gets the kids ready in the morning while Max goes on a run and she looks after them in the evenings when she gets home at dinner time. This is an age old problem. You can work, but you are still responsible for everything pertaining to home life. I felt that issues women face were made relevant in this book without becoming preachy. It wasn’t thrown in your face, you just got to see what Charlotte was going through and as a character, I not only liked her, but I felt for her. All the characters were flushed out, real, complex and multi dimensional which I appreciated.

Politics is a rough game and worse if you are a woman. She gets asked what colour of nail polish she is wearing, wearing flats is making a statement, and everything from her femininity to her parenting skills are called into question. You are simultaneously a “little lady” who can’t get anything done and the biggest current threat to democracy. I guess it could be called timely considering the political climate these days, but I feel like this could have been written any time. That’s what I loved. Politics was the perfect back drop for this story.

This was a great read. Exciting, fast paced and an authentic story told in a very real, complex and thoughtful way. It was multi layered, I was involved in the journey and I enjoyed the characters. Once again, I wasn’t paying attention to where I was in the book and I was unprepared for and really shocked when the ending came. It is really abrupt so be forewarned. It doesn’t mean I didn’t like the ending, just not what I expected. I think a lot of people will respond to this book and was a really great read. ( )
  PinkPurlandProse | Jul 25, 2018 |
This is the perfect read for today’s political climate. It will entertain, enlighten, and, at times, infuriate. Intelligently written, with great character development of both major and supporting characters. Nice to have a smart, strong female protagonist. And, although some may not, I liked her.

Don’t let those who tag this book “chick lit” put you off. My husband read it as well and really liked it. And, about that ending….I think it was the perfect ending given our uncertain times. ( )
  vkmarco | Jul 20, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible