The Problem Child (2006)

by Michael Buckley

Other authors: Peter Ferguson (Illustrator)

Series: The Sisters Grimm (3)

With the help of a long lost relative, and a little magic, Sabrina Grimm and her sister Daphne try to find out who has kidnapped their parents and rescue them.

The kid and I really enjoyed this book. It was fun, scary and in the end loving. Sabrina is really growing into quite a heroine.
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
Life is getting even scarier for Sabrina and Daphne, who are facing a psychotic Red Riding Hood (scarred by childhood trauma) and her pet Jabberwock. The usual fast paced adventure sped me through the book.

Sabrina continues to make really bad choices, this time egged on by an irresponsible long lost uncle. A hint of romance is brewing between Puck and Sabrina, which causes me a few doubts. I try to be open minded about age differences, but Puck is 2000 going on thirteen, while Sabrina is just thirteen. Or maybe twelve, I forget. Either way, it seems bound to end in tears. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
On the whole, I enjoyed The Problem Child, the third entry in the Sisters Grimm, Fairy Tale Detectives series. I thought it did a good job of presenting the problem of relying on a 'crutch' to deal with fear and powerlessness. We find out how Basil Grimm died and that the girls have another relative or two. (Talk about the road to hell being paved with good intentions!) The mayoral election subplot was a little too apt 10 years after it was written. How will the results pan out in future books?

We also learn one of the consequences of the Big Bad Wolf's evil deeds and how that consequence has impacted his Grimm friends. Baba Yaga was as scary as I recall from Russian fairy tales. The Blue Fairy was interesting.

Corrections:

a. The monster is a Jabberwock, not a Jabberwocky.

b. 'Jabberwocky,' the poem in which the Jabberwock appeared, is from Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, not Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

c. There is no proof in the pudding. That's a corruption of 'The proof of the pudding is in the eating'. Most corruptions of famous sayings make sense. This one doesn't.

d. If you read Hans Christian Anderson's 'The Little Mermaid', (something I don't recommend if you feel depressed), the entire scene involving her should not have been able to take place. It's a good scene, though.

e. In the Oz books, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South. The MGM movie combined her with the good (but not pretty) witch of the North.

L. J. Ganser's narration continues to be enjoyable. I must return to my local library to check out book four. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 22, 2016 |
After their parents mysteriously disappear, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to live with an eccentric grandmother. Now it up to them to find and rescue their parents.
  lkmuir | Dec 7, 2015 |
The Problem Child is about two girls named Sabrina and Daphne. They live with there grandmother. They become detectives in a place called Ferryport Landing.
I liked this book because it has all the fairy tale characters in it. This book tells you what happened to the fairy tale characters. I liked this book. ( )
  SophieS30 | Oct 19, 2014 |

Michael Buckleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferguson, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ganser, L.J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
HE DESCENDED FROM THE CLOUDS LIKE AN ANGEL, enveloped in a ray of light so brilliant that Sabrina and Daphne had to shield their eyes and look away. When he landed nimbly on the ground and smiled at the group, the light dimmed just enough so that they could see his face. The man he had been just moments before was gone, his flesh replaced by shimmering crystal, his eyes by blazing fires, like two small suns shining down on them all. But when he glanced over at Sabrina, she saw that his transformation hadn't robbed him of his quirky, mischievous grin. He stepped toward her with extended arms, and she stumbled back in fear. His smile quickly turned to a frown.

"What are you doing?" Sabrina demanded.

"I'm granting myself a wish," he answered. "I wanted to be powerful enough to make the people I love happy. I've been miserable. Happy is better. You can be happy, too. Wish for something, Sabrina. Anything. I can make it happen."

"But look at the cost!" Granny Relda said as she hovered over Mayor Charming's rapidly aging body. His beloved Snow White lay next to him, reaching with bony, arthritic hands to touch his wrinkled face. Everywhere Sabrina looked, Everafters lay struggling against the sudden onrush of old age. Many were in the final throes of death.

"Don't cry for them," the glittery being said to the old woman. "The Everafters have had their day in the sun and it was a long, long day. With their power I can recreate this world as a paradise where 'happily ever after' isn't just for a bunch of bedtime stories come to life. It's time for all our dreams to come true!"
For the kids,

Dominic, Kierra, Kiah, Tulia, Siena, and Dan-Dan
Sabrina opened her eyes and saw a monster hunched over her.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0810949148, 0810993597

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,188,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible