Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children (original 1981; edition 1995)

12,398226375 (4.05)1 / 939
In India, one thousand and one children are born in the hour following the midnight commemorating the country's independence from British rule. And of those children, none is more entwined with the destiny of that land thatn Saleem Sinai, he of dubious birth and a nose of astounding proportion. Discovering a psychic connection with midnight's other thousand, Saleem recounts a life both reflecting and recreating the modern history of his oft-troubled homeland.… (more)
Member:Nrsima
Title:Midnight's Children
Authors:
Info:Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (1981)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Nickelini)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (GoST)
    The Tin Drum by Günter Grass (GabrielF, CGlanovsky)
    GabrielF: I think Rushdie based a lot of his style in Midnight's Children on The Tin Drum. Both books are historical epics told through the perspective of a child with strange powers.
    CGlanovsky: A boy bound to the destiny of his birthplace. Surreal elements.
    The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie (BGP)
    Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh (pamelad)
    pamelad: Also set during Partition.
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (Gregorio_Roth)
    Gregorio_Roth: The book is a modern interpretation of KIM in a number of ways. I think it will complete your point of view on Imperialism and India.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)
    The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie (wrmjr66)
    wrmjr66: I think The Moor's Last Sigh is Rushdie's best book since Midnight's Children.
    Island of a Thousand Mirrors: A Novel by Nayomi Munaweera (evilmoose)
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (amyblue)
1980s (4)
Asia (17)
hopes (11)
1960s (199)

English (213)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Czech (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (226)
I am trying to record my reaction to 'Midnight's Children' by Salman Rushdie. I don't know what the "X5...Guide Exp" is up there for.

At any rate, this book made me want to keep reading it forever. It quickened my heartrate and made me glad to be alive. It has everything and the kitchen sink thrown into the narrative. I know so little about the history and politics of India and Pakistan that parts of the book were mostly incomprehensible but I let those parts slide by and enjoyed the amazing panorama. Very human. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
A reviewer for [b:A Tale of Love and Darkness|27574|A Tale of Love and Darkness|Amos Oz|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1429313277l/27574._SY75_.jpg|28189] recommends reading Midnight's Children.
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
A great let down after Satanic Verses, which I found full of warmth and kindness. Here by contrast there was not a single character that I could get along with. Must admit to bailing out about one third of the way through, something I rarely do. ( )
  scunliffe | Jul 17, 2021 |
Definitely one of the best novels I have ever read. A beautiful and tragic story of Saleem Sinai - his life's journey running in parallel with India's fate. Every chapter is engrossing. Throughout the whole read, the story never gets boring - you just want to read on and want to know what happens next. ( )
  pinaki.s | Jul 12, 2021 |
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (1999)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
Midnight's Children is a teeming fable of postcolonial India, told in magical-realist fashion by a telepathic hero born at the stroke of midnight on the day the country became independent. First published in 1981, it was met with little immediate excitement.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Lindesay Irvine (Jul 10, 2008)

"The literary map of India is about to be redrawn. . . . What [English-language fiction about India] has been missing is . . . something just a little coarse, a hunger to swallow India whole and spit it out. . . . Now, in 'Midnight's Children,' Salman Rushdie has realized that ambition."
added by GYKM | editNew York Times, Clarke Blaise (Apr 19, 1981)

Rushdie, Salmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Capriolo, EttoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, IanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Versluys, MarijkeEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Zafar Rushdie
who, contrary to all expectations,
was born in the afternoon.
I was born in the city of Bombay . . . once upon a time.
Please distinguish among:

-- Salman Rushdie's original 1981 novel, Midnight's Children;

-- Rushdie's 1999 screenplay adaptation (with introduction) of the novel, having the same title; and

-- The 2003 stage play, Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, adapted for theater by Rushdie, Tim Supple and Simon Reade.

Thank you.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,254,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible