The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Invisible Man (original 1897; edition 2012)

by H. G. Wells

Member:al.vick
Title:The Invisible Man
Authors:H. G. Wells
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 170 pages
Collections:omnibus parts

The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (1897)

English (150)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  English (161)
I liked this but it was so much sadder than I was expecting. A book about loneliness. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
The Invisible Man is a story of a brilliant mind declining into madness. The unexpected disadvantages of being invisible take him by surprise and he becomes selfish and completely uncaring of anything else other than his own comfort. Not that he was much better when he was visible.'I had impunity to do whatever I chose, everything - save to give away my secret.' This is not the first time I've read this story and it probably won't be the last. It is, however, the first time I've been annoyed by other characters. Griffin, the invisible scientist, deserves punishment. He becomes a monster, after all.

This time I spent the first part of the book being enraged by the behaviour of Mrs. Hall, her dumb husband and her nosy, gossipy friends. The man comes to her inn, takes a room and, yes, he is a bit unpleasant and doesn't like to chat, but they pushed and pushed and pushed until he snapped. I am not saying he wouldn't snap anyway, but still. Nor am I justifying Griffin's actions in any way, but these people are the last ones who should throw stones at anyone.
Later too, when the action moves to another place, you see one man watching another, who is being pursued, through his barred door, doing nothing to help him. He doesn't have the luxury of knowledge as we do. Science turning against its creator isn't the only issue in this book.

I did feel sympathy towards Griffin occasionally. That would usually last until he opened his mouth or started thinking. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Saw the movie when I was kid but didn't remember much about it so decided to read the book. It was ok, but a little hard to follow. ( )
  trezzadude | Sep 7, 2016 |
Knjiga me prijatno iznenadila. U samom početku čak mi je bilo žao nevidljivog čovjeka i njegove otuđenosti i osamljenosti.Iako je knjiga jako često označena kao horor meni je na momente (možda zvuči uvrnuto) bila smiješna.
Osobno dobrom knjigom smatram onu koja me tjera na razmišljanje i postavljanje pitanja. I pitam se: Gdje je granica između genijalca i luđaka? Koliko daleko su znanstvenici spremni ići u svojim istraživanjima?

Iako je napisana u 19. stoljeću ono o čemu govori aktualno je i danas. ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The stranger came early in February one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year, over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
This is the main work for The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells. Do not combine with any adaptation (e.g. film), abridgement, omnibus containing additional works, etc.

Wells was well, what wells
was was wells-nuts-was wells
welcomed when well wells?
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Drugs can be harmful.
Voice from the mouth of a well.
Insert meaning here.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528522, Mass Market Paperback)

This masterpiece of science fiction is the fascinating story of Griffin, a scientist who creates a serum to render himself invisible, and his descent into madness that follows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:05 -0400)

The tale of a scientist who discovers how to make his body become invisible, but, when he can't make himself visible again, becomes violently insane.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143998X, 014119491X, 0141389516

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100666, 1400108578

McFarland

An edition of this book was published by McFarland.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,701,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible