A Wedding in December: A Novel by Anita…

A Wedding in December: A Novel (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Anita Shreve (Author)

A group of former schoolmates from Maine's Kidd Academy gather in the Berkshires for the a wedding of fellow classmates Bill and Bridget.
Member:tellen81
Title:A Wedding in December: A Novel
Authors:Anita Shreve (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2005), Edition: 1st, 336 pages

A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve (2005)

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
A reunion of friends at a wedding held in a renovated inn recall events that happened during their time together in a private high school. Harrison was the best narrating character since he was so personally involved in a roommate's death. Initially Nora impressed me with her inn but then her behavior bothered me as we found out more about her marriage and her past. The basic idea is that lost loves are hard to forget but the idea that then it is OK to cheat on your current marriage just rubbed me the wrong way. The story that Agnes was writing was an interesting historical gem about an explosion but I felt it was a distraction to the wedding story. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
I am usually affected by how a book is read when it is audio. In this case, I wanted a different reader. The reader is competent, to be sure, but I felt like she should be reading some other book. She often, as many readers do, ends sentences in a middle area, rather than on a positive down note. I can't explain what else bothered me about her reading. Just that is seemed, in a way, to diminish the book. But of course it may be that the book just isn't that great.

I couldn't help but think of The Big Chill as I listened. Of course there are many reunion stories, and this one is about a wedding rather than a funeral, but the theme is so much the same. Revelations.

Nora runs an inn on the east coast. She welcomes a wedding party including a friend from high school, 27 years ago, Bridget. The gang is invited, and most of them have not seen each other in all that time. It isn't long before we learn of a long-ago romance that never happened, between Nora and Harrison, who is now married with children (Nora is recently widowed). And we learn of the death of one of the gang, Steven (or Stephen?) way back then. And of the affair Agnes has had with a former teacher for all these years.

The characters we most closely get to know are Agnes and perhaps Harrison, a little Nora. There is a parallel story line going on - Agnes is writing a novel. We get to read it as she writes. About the Hallifax Explosion, the explosion of a munitions ship in the harbor of Hallifax, in Canada, that killed many people and blinded a great many as well. The story is of a young man whose own romantic desires are thwarted just as are Harrison's and Agnes's in different ways.

So the story is about these romances more than anything else, about how we don't always get what we want. There isn't always a happy ever after. Although there are hopeful couples as well. Life.

I wasn't moved by any of it.
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
I am embarrassed to admit but I initially started this book almost 8 years ago while I was pregnant. I just came across it remembering some of the story. Well, this is not the type of story you can "pick" up for light reading. That's not to say the story is "heavy". There are many characters who are reunited after twenty-something years for a wedding. It was an enjoyable read once I started over. The book tells the story of old friends who reminisce about the past and how it shaped their present and possibly their future. Often a bit confusing was the entanglement of one of the character's thoughts and writings of her own novel set in a different time period.

Http://bookwormreviewblog.blogspot.com ( )
  marquis784 | Feb 15, 2020 |
The Anita Shreve books that I have read have been historical fiction. A WEDDING IN DECEMBER, though, is what the title sounds like, a book about a wedding, in this case, a wedding weekend. This book does, however, CONTAIN historical fiction, a story within a story.

The main story is a bit soap opera-ish. The story within the story was short on history, long on cliché.

They were a group of best friends when they were in high school, all except one. That was the one member of the group who died before they graduated. Although the others are now in their 40s, the death of the one hangs over their reminisces during that Friday through Sunday they meet for the wedding of two members of their gang.

Each of the seven members of the former high school gang has issues, and these are explored over the weekend. This is the main story.

One of the members of the gang, Agnes, is now writing about a doctor who was a hero when an explosion occurred in the city of Halifax during World War I. Here is our story within the story. This might have been great historical fiction if Shreve had stuck with the devastation and the doctor’s efforts. And it does begin that way. But it turns into cliché with a whining wife, a long-suffering and selfless husband, and an affair on the side.

Nothing really happens in the main story unless you count the arrival of a daughter from a former marriage or a sexual liaison. So you may be disappointed if you expect more. ( )
  techeditor | Nov 24, 2018 |
At an inn in the Berkshire Mountains, seven former schoolmates gather to celebrate a wedding--a reunion that becomes the occasion of astonishing revelations as the friends collectively recall a long-ago night that indelibly marked each of their lives. Written with the fluent narrative artistry that distinguishes all of Anita Shreve's bestselling novels, A Wedding in December acutely probes the mysteries of the human heart and the endless allure of paths not taken.
  JESGalway | May 21, 2018 |
for my father
"The glaciers are receding," she said.

Hachette Book Group

5 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316154512, 159483086X, 0316001635, 1594839492, 1594839484

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,399,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible