Academ's Fury (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera…

Academ's Fury (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback)) (edition 2006)

by Jim Butcher (Author)

Series: Codex Alera (2)

Tavi is ostensibly serving as a page but secretly training to become a spy. When the first lord falls to a sorcerous attack, Tavi and his closest friends and teachers must conceal the lord's condition lest the realm fall into civil war. In the Calderon Valley, a long--forgotten horror awakens and heads for the heart of Alera, while Tavi's closest relative, the newly appointed Steadholder Isana, faces at least two sets of assassins.… (more)
Member:Daedalcipher
Title:Academ's Fury (Codex Alera) (Codex Alera (Paperback))
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Info:Ace Books (2006), Edition: Reprint, 720 pages
Rating:*****

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher

English (71)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (73)
[b:Furies of Calderon|29396|Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1329104514s/29396.jpg|3098584] felt like fairly standard high fantasy. It had a Roman theme rather than the more common (in what I've read) Medieval European and elemental spirits for a magical theme, but it still had a fairly standard 'farmboy saves the day through strength of character and good triumphs over evil' sort of theme. There were hints of a wider world, but for the most part, it was a fairly self contained book.

[b:Academ's Fury|133664|Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)|Jim Butcher|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1381026900s/133664.jpg|6614430] takes all that and really starts to dig into the world building and expand the scope of the conflict. Where we only had the hints of 'weird' in the Wax Forest, now we have a fully developed and quite frankly terrifying threat in the Vord. While it's not the most original concept (the Borg among many many others), it's well done here. You really get a sense for how alien the Vord are and--worst--how smart. They learn and they won't stop until everything is Vord. Also, the Canim. Warrior wolf people. Pretty cool.

Character and plotwise, I really like the development of all the characters from the first time around--Tavi is great, Isana does what needs done and has a whole pile of secrets, Bernard and Amara are just wonderful together--along with a handful of new supporting roles with Tavi's fellow students and teachers and more of a look at Gaius Sextus.

With the changed and expanded focus and world changing threat, this is the make or break for the series. If you were so so on Furies of Calderon but gave Academ's Fury, now you know if you should finish the series or not. From what I remember (and admittedly, it's been a while), it just keeps growing from here.

Well worth the read. I look forward to listening to book three! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
More satisfied with this boom compared to the first one. Looking forward to the next book now. ( )
  FirstSpeaker | Apr 16, 2021 |
Academ’s Fury is the second book in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series. Although I enjoyed the first book, I enjoyed this one significantly more. The only reason it took me so long to read was due to time constraints. Whenever I picked it up, I never wanted to put it back down. There’s a lot of action in this book. For me it was the exciting, edge-of-my-seat sort and not the boring, repetitive kind.

After having a rough start with Tavi in the first book, I’m a big fan of him now. I did sometimes get exasperated when a new chapter switched away from Tavi’s POV in the middle of some tense action, because his storyline was the one I was the most interested in. It didn’t take me long to get back into the POV that the new chapter had switched to, though.

I don’t have too many more comments, but the ones I have will need to go in spoiler tags:
The Vord were a great enemy. They aren’t terribly unique maybe; they reminded me of a fantasy version of the Borg. The Borg always worked for me as a creepy enemy though, and the Vord did the same. I also liked it because it ensured this book wasn’t just more of the same from the first book. While it followed and expanded on many of the same plot threads, it also told a different sort of story in a different way and I really enjoyed it. It looks like we haven’t seen the last of them.

I was worried that I was in for a ton of romantic angst between Amara and Bernard. There was more than I wanted, but fortunately not too much time was spent on it.

From the title, Academ’s Fury, I kind of thought Tavi might find and develop fury crafting in this book. He was, after all, obviously the Academ from the title, but I guess the “Fury” part wasn’t that literal. So I’ve revised my interpretation of the titles and am guessing they all refer to Tavi’s position throughout the series. So by the end of it he’ll be, not very surprisingly, the… well, either you know the title to the last book or you don’t, in which case you might not want it spoiled. Assuming I’m even correct, but I’m feeling pretty confident!
1 vote YouKneeK | Mar 13, 2021 |
The world and character building across this series is pretty darn spiffing. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Academ's Fury turns everything up a level from Furies of Calderon - we have better character development, stronger battle sequences, better-aligned POVs, and a stronger plot. I struggled through the early chapters of this book because of the pacing there (as well as a few throw away sexist comments, which...no) but once it got rolling, I enjoyed it. The world and magic system here are decent and interesting. It's a solid high fantasy novel.

More than anything, I enjoyed Academ's Fury because I really enjoy Kitai's character. Unlike the other women in this series, Kitai is not hampered by a cultural who devalues her because of her gender. She's formidable and skilled and clever and I enjoyed every scene she's in. She's only a side character, too. More's the pity - I'd love to see her as a POV. ( )
  Morteana | Dec 26, 2020 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the old gang at AmberMUSH and on Too.
We all wasted too much time together,
and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Wind howled over the rolling, sparsely wooded hills of the lands in care of the Marat, the One-and-Many people.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,465,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible