My First Ten Days in Heaven by Robert Brown

My First Ten Days in Heaven (edition 2018)

by Robert Brown (Author)

741,940,497 (4.5)None
WHO WOULD TURN DOWN HEAVEN?Say "hello" to the recently deceased Michael Greyson, a good man, a likable man. He lived a moderately long and honorable life, and he just arrived in Heaven. Problem is Mike dumped religion completely in his forties. God didn't exist. Heaven didn't exist. There was nothing after death. Being in heaven was a mistake or a cruel joke by a mean-spirited god. For Mike, life was its own reward. Death should be the end. Heaven didn't feel right. My First Ten Days in Heaven is a thoughtful, feel-good story of the joys and sorrows of living and is in the same tone as A Man called Ove and The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared.… (more)
Member:Scottharling
Title:My First Ten Days in Heaven
Authors:Robert Brown (Author)
Info:Denro Classics (2018), 232 pages
Rating:*****

My First Ten Days in Heaven by Robert Brown

This thought-provoking book addresses the one question humans have been asking since the dawn of time; Why? Why are we here? Then there are the follow-up questions; What is our purpose? What happens to us after we die?

Although there was quite a bit of repetition, most of it was necessary to stress the oddity of the situation.

Mike was given the opportunity many of us wish for, though probably not after death. He was able to reflect upon his life and life in general. He was able to seek answers and advice from beings long since passed. This makes me wonder about the world as a whole.

Technology continues to advance civilization, but is there any notable difference in the people’s rational thoughts or behavior? Individuals have always strived for self-improvement. Some turn to invent while others turn to the fight for equality.

Advice from an ancient is just as relevant today.

The world revolves. The denizens evolve. The universe exists. Because it is. ( )
  Bibliodiction | Jul 24, 2018 |
My First Ten Days in Heaven provided an excellent way to present various ideas about different things that concern us but are not often easily or interestingly discussed. In the book, Mike wakes up to find that he, an avowed atheist, has died and is in heaven. Someone named Pete has been sent to help Mike acclimate to his new surroundings and helps things along for Mike. This definitely was a nice way to espouse certain ideas in a way that made them easier to read and absorb than other, more conventional ways. Mike encounters different people during his ten days: Einstein, God, his family and life in all the blissful ways he lovingly remembers. I might not have read some textbook type treatise on these same ideas, but I read this one and found it interesting. I always think it is interesting to read someone’s idea of the afterlife, mostly because no one really has any concrete, real experience or ideas about what happens after death, so it becomes everyone’s best guess. I thought this approach was a good one because it kept the reader engaged, while covering a myriad of topics that concern all of us. The reader always wants to know who or what Mike will encounter next and how he will react. This is a good book and method to put out ides and concepts. It is also an interesting story. Through his discussions and interactions, we get a good picture of Mike, who he really is and how he changes once dead (if there is such a thing as changing after death). As I said, this is a good read, though not a light read, and provides a welcome break from the other types of fiction we find everywhere. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Apr 7, 2018 |
A very intriguing read. There are thousands of "what if" books out there written from the religious point of view, however this is the first I have seen written from an atheist. It is very thought provoking and makes you stop and think. A very wonderful read by a fantastic author. ( )
  Scottharling | Mar 27, 2018 |
What happens when an atheist dies and finds himself in heaven that's the premise of the book. An interesting premise and the book doesn't disappoint. Mike awakes to find that he no longer hurts, all of his aches and pains are gone. This is because he is dead. A man knocks on his door and introduces himself as Pete. Pete is there to help him adjust to conditions in heaven. Mike spends his 10 days learning various things. He spends a day with Einstein and explores the idea of heaven being thousands of dimensions all together at the same time. He spends time with Freud and discusses the idea of ending it all, yes even ending his post death existence. Another day he has a "perfect" day, with family, community service a barbecue, everything that made him happy in life. He meets Jesus as well as God and explores the collective conscience idea with his parents. Each day Mike explores a different version/type of heaven. Again in interesting read, did not go into a religious doctrine as I was half expecting. Would definitely be an interesting read for book clubs or religious discussion groups. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Mar 19, 2018 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Robert Brown's book My First Ten Days in Heaven was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,258,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible