The How-To Book of the Mass by Michael…

The How-To Book of the Mass

by Michael Dubruiel

196285,549 (3.92)1

I'd heard that all the prayers and responses are biblically based, and Dubruiel lines this out adequately.

He also has some particular language about the offertory that I'd been looking for. So it was a worthwhile time spent.

Sidenote - he mentions ocular communion, receiving the Eucharist only in the sense of witnessing the transubstantiation. ( )
  2wonderY | Jun 21, 2017 |
Don't let the "For Dummies" style" cover design fool you, this is an excellent introduction and walk-through of the Mass, the theology and biblical connections of its prayers and other liturgical actions. Haven't read the updated version, but I understand it includes at least some of the changes that will come with the implementation of the (now not-so) new General Instruction on the Roman Missal. Highly recommended both for Catholics and prospective Catholics.
1 vote johnredmond | Mar 26, 2010 |
In the preparatory rites of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, we prepare to offer ourselves, along with the presider, to God the Father in union with the one sacrifice of Christ.
In the same way that our Lord handed himself over to sinful men and was sacrificed on the cross for our salvation, we now give of ourselves too. It is not to recreate His sacrifice, but rather to participate in His sacrifice. We will offer ourselves through Christ to the Father in the Eucharistic Prayer.
The gifts represent us, and the people who bring them to the front emphasize the fact that "we" the congregation are asking the presider to take these gifts and to offer them to God in our name.

The How-To Book of the Mass not only provides the who, what, where, when, and why of the most time-honored traditions of the Catholic Church, but also the how. All in an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand format. - Back cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,815,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible