Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again…

by Rachel Held Evans

4062051,342 (4.25)12
If the Bible isn't a science book or an instruction manual, then what is it? What do people mean when they say the Bible is inspired? When Rachel Held Evans found herself asking these questions, she began a quest to better understand what the Bible is and how it is meant to be read. What she discovered changed her--and it will change you too. Drawing on the best in recent scholarship and using her well-honed literary expertise, Evans examines some of our favorite Bible stories and possible interpretations, retelling them through memoir, original poetry, short stories, soliloquies, and even a short screenplay. Undaunted by the Bible's most difficult passages, Evans wrestles through the process of doubting, imagining, and debating Scripture's mysteries. The Bible, she discovers, is not a static work but is a living, breathing, captivating, and confounding book that is able to equip us to join God's loving and redemptive work in the world. --amazon.com.… (more)

This shares one woman's journey back to loving the Bible. It shares a better understanding about what the Bible is and how it is meant to be read.
  SABC | May 24, 2022 |
This is the book I have been waiting for. It spoke so deeply to my often confused, skeptical, doubting, but believing heart. I'm so sad that Rachel's voice is gone from this life. ( )
  maryellencg | Jan 8, 2022 |
I started this book last year, and then Rachel Held Evans died and I couldn't pick it back up without crying. No, I didn't know her, but all of her books have spoken to me and made me feel less crazy about my own faith, and I was just so sad to lose her writing and her voice. So a year later, I picked it back up during Lent and vowed to finish it, and it is exactly what I expected--fierce teaching about The Gospel of Jesus paired with not-so-subtle actionable steps for rank-and-file Christians to take if they wish to improve their families and communities. I think I will make reading this book a Lenten tradition every year. ( )
  ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
This is a great book. I encourage everyone to read it, especially if you are at all curious about ways to approach the bible. It is very accessible. ( )
  Aldon.Hynes | Sep 14, 2021 |
This was great, and I loved the way that she broke down the stories into actual stories that sounded relatable. My Bible knowledge consists of one English class in undergrad where we read a few books in the Bible (I knew the Job one!) and a few summers of Vacation Bible School as a child. The author actually inspires me to take a look and read more, but she does a wonderful job of encouraging questioning in your study. ( )
  spinsterrevival | Jan 27, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,814,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible