Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again…

by Rachel Held Evans

If the Bible isn't a science book or an instruction manual, then what is it? What do people mean when they say the Bible is inspired? When Rachel Held Evans found herself asking these questions, she began a quest to better understand what the Bible is and how it is meant to be read. What she discovered changed her--and it will change you too. Drawing on the best in recent scholarship and using her well-honed literary expertise, Evans examines some of our favorite Bible stories and possible interpretations, retelling them through memoir, original poetry, short stories, soliloquies, and even a short screenplay. Undaunted by the Bible's most difficult passages, Evans wrestles through the process of doubting, imagining, and debating Scripture's mysteries. The Bible, she discovers, is not a static work but is a living, breathing, captivating, and confounding book that is able to equip us to join God's loving and redemptive work in the world. --amazon.com.… (more)

This was great, and I loved the way that she broke down the stories into actual stories that sounded relatable. My Bible knowledge consists of one English class in undergrad where we read a few books in the Bible (I knew the Job one!) and a few summers of Vacation Bible School as a child. The author actually inspires me to take a look and read more, but she does a wonderful job of encouraging questioning in your study. ( )
  spinsterrevival | Jan 27, 2021 |
This fed my soul to its very depths. I am always grateful for Rachel Held Evans' spiritual insights and explication of Scripture. This is what I think Rob Bell was trying to do in What Is the Bible?, but is just more authentic and less concerned with proving its cleverness. It is both intellectual and heartfelt at once. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Many of Rachel Held Evans' stories and doubts and resolutions and experiences are personally familiar to me. While not American nor Southern Baptist, I was raised in a very Conservative Christian environment, and it wasn't until my mid-30s when I realized the narrative nature of the Bible and the importance of that fact in understanding its depth and value and meaning.

I haven't landed in all the same places she has (and to cite the differences here will be a dis-service to her work), but I'm so glad she wrote this book and that I read it. I like her creative experimentation in her chapter introductions, written in the form of different genres. I recommend this book whole heartedly.

Note - I read "Inspired" using Libby, an app by Overdrive which enables me to borrow e-books from my local library. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
I continue to be amazed each time I read one of Rachel Held Evans' books. She asks all the same questions I've been asking. Her approach to the hard issues is encouraging because she doesn't dodge them, but takes them head on. She expresses her frustrations and gives insights and looks at the problems and admits when she just can't answer some of the questions while also admitting to the struggle of holding onto faith while also being uncomfortable with the dissonance. I recommend this book and each of her other books for those who struggle the way I do and the way many thinking believers struggle with a God who often just doesn't make sense. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
**I received an Advance Reader's copy from the publisher**

Rachel Held Evans is one of those authors who I know I will love, regardless of the content of the book. So when I got a chance to be a part of the book launch, I jumped at the opportunity.

What I love about Inspired is that it looks at the Bible through the lens of story. It reminds you that while scripture was inspired by God, it's just as much a reminder that it was and is a history of humanity. One where we have to reconcile our own personal stories and the lens through which we look at the world with the story of a God who gave up so much so that we could be part of His family.

This book will challenge you, and it will inspire you. It will remind you that you are not alone with your questions. And it will give you a reason to not give up, even as the world gets darker. ( )
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,089,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible