Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of…

Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump (edition 2018)

by Dan Pfeiffer (Author)

Member:chazzard
Title:Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump
Authors:Dan Pfeiffer (Author)
Info:Twelve (2018), 304 pages
Collections:Read
Tags:washington dc, politics, barack obama, memoir, non-fiction, hcl

Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter, and Trump by Dan Pfeiffer

This was more like a memoir than I expected. I think in the intro he even said it wasn't a memoir, but I think it was. There are some practical ideas for coming elections, but it's more descriptive than prescriptive. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
As a listener to Pod Save America, I really enjoyed this book, which kinda reads like a long, themed episode of the podcast. It's got the same positive tone and determined optimism while being peppered with anecdotes about the Obama campaigns and White House administration. I also appreciated the analysis of how social media, particularly Twitter, has changed the political environment. Overall, a great book with an interesting take on current politics. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 20, 2018 |
One quick note: I am a huge fan of Pod Save America and alot of the Crooked Media podcast so there might be alittle bias.

Yes We (Still) Can: Politics in the Age of Obama, Twitter and Trump by Dan Pfeiffer is a phenomenal read. Pfeiffer's tales of working on the Obama campaigns and working in the White House are fascinating, while his analysis on the 2016 elections and the state of politics now is intelligent and thought provoking. The book jumps around to tackle various topics so it does not just read like a history of his life in politics. Dan Pfeiffer brings humor to some topics that could be dry and always makes you interested in what he is talking about. Not only is this book well written but is also a great call to arms for people to become more involved in politics. If you are looking for an interesting read on political affairs that is not boring this is the book you should go with. ( )
  blaketoren | Sep 12, 2018 |
Post navigation
PreviousNext
yes we still can dan pfeifferI must admit that if I’d paid for this book I’d be inclined to ask for my money back. The title suggests it’s a blueprint for the future, while it’s actually a mixture of memoir, venting and punditry on the past.

Former White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer takes us through a series of vignettes from his journey into politics, his days on the Obama campaign, some of the key issues he faced in the Obama White House, his decision to leave, what he did on his gap break (Southeast Asia, man!), his marriage, his CNN gig, Hillary’s defeat, and, finally, you get a few bullet points on what we might have learnt from all this on how to defeat Trump.

I’m a little unsure who the audience is for this. If you’re into US politics most of it will be stuff you already know – the standoffs with Republicans over Obamacare and the shutdown, the day-to-day dilemmas over how best to present Obama to a wider audience, the tan suit (remember when that was considered a presidential scandal?).

However if you’re unfamiliar with all this and coming to the book wanting to learn more, you might flounder. There is no clear explanation of the issues behind the anecdotes. The names of key people are thrown in with no explanation of who they are. Stories are set up and not paid off.

Maybe you will share Pfeiffer’s disappointment that he didn’t get the Director of Communications job in Obama’s first administration and learnt of someone else’s appointment via an email. But in the next chapter he is Director of Communications, with no clue as to how that transition took place.

Pfeiffer may have some unique insights into life inside the West Wing but if he has he isn’t sharing them. Instead he tells stories that are ostensibly self-deprecating, like when he was waiting for anaesthetic to take effect ahead of surgery and accidentally sent a tweet where he had meant to use the word ‘bigger’ but had, in his haze, replaced the ‘b’ with an ‘n’. It’s actually more of a humblebrag – I was hospitalised three times and I still wouldn’t take time off work!

I’m a big fan of the Pod Save America podcast, hosted by Pfeiffer and three fellow former Obama aides. They regularly delve into questions of the future direction of the Democrats and the strategies that they need to defeat the Republicans, as well as highlighting the work of grassroots activists and more radical approaches. I was expecting that depth and specificity from this book but I was disappointed.
I received a copy of Yes We (Still) Can from the publisher via Netgalley.
Read more of my reviews on katevane.com/blog ( )
  KateVane | Sep 4, 2018 |
I hate to admit it, but I did not really appreciate Obama as president as much as I should have. Every time Trump does or says something that is so beyond reality, I think how it used to be when we had a president who was extremely intelligent, thoughtful and articulate. I miss you Obama! The author takes the reader for a trip down memory lane and offers some wonderful insights into how we went from Obama to Trump. Pfeiffer is also incredibly funny! I simply loved this book and hope he is enjoying his new role on his Podcast. He deserves it after his time on the campaign and in the White House - even though he worked for a classy president! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jul 26, 2018 |

The former White House director of communications explores how politics, the media, and the Internet changed during the Obama administration and how Democrats can fight back in the Trump era."From Obama's former communications director and current co-host of Pod Save America comes a colorful account of how politics, the media, and the Internet changed during the Obama presidency and how Democrats can fight back in the Trump era. On November 9th, 2016, Dan Pfeiffer woke up like most of the world wondering WTF just happened. How had Donald Trump won the White House? How was it that a decent and thoughtful president had been succeeded by a buffoonish reality star, and what do we do now? Instead of throwing away his phone and moving to another country (which were his first and second thoughts), Pfeiffer decided to tell this surreal story, recounting how Barack Obama navigated the insane political forces that created Trump, explaining why everyone got 2016 wrong, and offering a path for where Democrats go from here. Pfeiffer was one of Obama's first hires when he decided to run for president, and was at his side through two presidential campaigns and six years in the White House. Using never-before-heard stories and behind-the-scenes anecdotes, YES WE (STILL) CAN examines how Obama succeeded despite Twitter trolls, Fox News (and their fake news), and a Republican Party that lost its collective mind. An irreverent, no-BS take on the crazy politics of our time, YES WE (STILL) CAN is a must-read for everyone who is disturbed by Trump, misses Obama, and is marching, calling, and hoping for a better future for the country."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,786,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible