Mad Boy by Nick Arvin

Mad Boy

by Nick Arvin

I pictured this book as a kind of mash-up of Tom Jones and Huck Finn – a picaresque adventure set during the War of 1812. I thought the war would be more in the background than it was, but even though war novels are my least favorite genre, I really liked this book. Turns out I don’t mind a war story if the writing is quick and clever, the characters are uniquely entertaining (especially Henry, a child to rival Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn), and there's no bloat or baggy-ness to cut out. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |

Young Henry Phipps is on a quest to realize his dying mother's last wish: to be buried at sea, surrounded by her family. Not an easy task considering Henry's ne'er-do-well father is in debtor's prison and his comically earnest older brother is busy fighting the red coats on the battlefields of Maryland. But Henry's stubborn determination knows no bounds. As he dodges the cannon fire of clashing armies and picks among the ruins of a burning capital he meets looters, British defectors, renegade slaves, a pregnant maiden in distress, and scoundrels of all types. Mad Boy is at once an antic adventure and a thoroughly convincing work of historical fiction that recreates a young nation's first truly international conflict and a key moment in the history of the emancipation of African-American slaves. -- Amazon.com… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible